Compiz and Cairo-Dock Not Working Correctly

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mike1056

Compiz and Cairo-Dock Not Working Correctly

Post by Mike1056 »

I have used Ubuntu for several years and my main hard drive still has 10.10 on it. I can no longer get updates but have decided after using the newer versions with the Unity interface not to downgrade from 10.10 to 11.04 on up. However, my system started becoming unstable (mainly the Internet) and likely this was due to flash and an older version of firefox (which, of course, I couldn't update). I installed 10.10 on a dummy drive and modified it the way I wanted it (to look like a Mac). Then I upgraded to 11.04 to see what would happen. Well, I noticed a few things. After finally getting rid of Unity, I was able to almost get it the way I wanted it except compizconfig settings manager wouldn't do anything (all I want is the desktop cube and wobbly windows) and the cairo-dock kept hiding behind windows that were open. After upgrading again, it got worse. Upgraded again and it got worse. After posting in their forum board, I was told, "Another I Hate Unity thread. If you don't like it, go somewhere else" (two things: I really was trying to get help getting my computer to work correctly. Also, if so many people hate unity, why not give your fan base alternatives rathr than the middle finger and tell them to get lost?)

So, that's what I did. I went somewhere else. I'm so happy that I have found Linux Mint with MATE, it loks ALMOST identical to my Ubuntu 10.10 installation but most importantly, it's updated and more secure. I have yet to have a crash. No wonder I hear so many good things about Linux Mint! That said, I have the same problems as when I downgraded from Ubuntu 10.10 to 11.04. The cairo-dock hides behind windows if I drag them down to the dock and if I run over the icons and it magnifies them, they go behind the windows. I've attached a picture of what I'm talking about. Also, compizconfig settings manager doesn't seem to do anything. I tried putting the manager in the startup section and it kind of worked except that instead of the desktop being a cube, it was more of a plane with only two sides. Also, my windows borders disappeared and everything opened at the very top of the screen just under the panel. I really don't care if I use compiz or if there is something else that will give me the results I want (desktop cube, rotate cube, and wobbly windows), I just want it to work. So, here is my checklist for making my life complete (for now)...lol

CompizConfig Settings Manager
Desktop Cube
Rotate Cube
Wobbly Windows
Cairo-Dock
Prevent windows from overlapping the dock.

Any help I get would make me very happy!

Also, I want to say as a side note related to my little rant above, thank you so much for caring about your user base to give us options on how we want to use our Operating System. Once I have everything that I want set up how I want it, I'm going to do it on a live disk (this is a dummy drive right now for testing) and abandon Ubuntu altogether as they seem to have abandoned me (and Millions of their users) with Unity. Linux 13 with MATE is exactly what I wanted. I just want my computer to run and operate and look and feel the way it has for a couple years and the way I'm most comfortable with it which is why I love Linux so much but you guys do it so well!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mike1056

Re: Compiz and Cairo-Dock Not Working Correctly

Post by Mike1056 »

Okay, so I'm closer now. I got compiz working by going to the terminal and typing in compiz --replace However even after messing around with the configurations in compiz, many of the windows still opened at the top of the panel with no window border and the cube was still a plane with only the two sides. When I changed the window decoratoins, it gave me half of the windows or so could be moved (all wobbly and stuff!!) and the rest were glued from the top panel. Plus I had to change the window decoratoin to get the border I wanted. Any other ideas?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here]
you might want to take a look at this http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919 (will be at least a start; i can't help you here - sorry :oops: - don't usually use compiz and/or mate)
Mike1056

Post by Mike1056 »

Heading there now! Thanks! I really appreciate it!
Mike1056

Post by Mike1056 »

I guess I should have gone there before I posted. I tried that earlier and that is how I got compiz to work but it still didn't work well. Some of the programs I open will be without borders and glue themselves to the top panel which is really annoying while the rest don't do that. The desktop cube works when I do that but only as a plane with a front and back, no cube.
Shin

Post by Shin »

many of the windows still opened at the top of the panel with no window border
same issue here, compiz breaks all window borders (they disappear)
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

Have a look at the end of this thread, especially the startup applications bit that I think you have not set up, and may be why on reboot you are having problems:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&p=587697

Also it is better to use ubuntu tweak rather than gconf-editor as gconf-editor did not work for me. Ubuntu tweak is available from the ubuntu tweak site, which is easiest found using google search.

AJ1000

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”