New Mint 13 install. Cannot install Brother HL-2140 printer.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kelley_Green

New Mint 13 install. Cannot install Brother HL-2140 printer.

Post by Kelley_Green »

This thread was called [SOLVED] New Mint 12 install. Cannot install laser printer

I created another thread about how Mint 13 is having the same problems but that thread is receiving no activity. So I will rename and use this one.

The following quote for for Mint 12, standard, but it also applies to Mint 13 which I am now using.
Hey all,

I have a new install of Mint 12, standard.

I tried to install my Brother HL-2140 and Mint 12 set it up as a "Generic text-only printer". I cannot even print a test page.

Up until Mint 12 I have always been able to select my printer from a list of Brother printers and now that is no longer possible.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Kelley
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: New Mint 12 install. Cannot install laser printer.

Post by AlbertP »

If the normal printing program does not work, you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter. Then you'll get the old program for managing printers, the Add button is at the top. You'll then be able to add your printer and select the model from the list.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

AlbertP wrote:If the normal printing program does not work, you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter. Then you'll get the old program for managing printers, the Add button is at the top. You'll then be able to add your printer and select the model from the list.
That works!

Thanks!

Kelley
nomko

Post by nomko »

Isn't there no how-to for installing Brother printers on Linux Mint? I think more users will encounter a similar issue and it would be very handy to have a sort of how-to.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ nomko: it varies between Brother models. A lot of them require a driver download from Brother's website, and there are many different drivers from there.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

The problem is only with Mint 12 and the way it sets up printers. The default didn't allow me to select the actual printer.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

Kelley_Green wrote:The problem is only with Mint 12 and the way it sets up printers. The default didn't allow me to select the actual printer.
Now that I have updated to Mint 13 I see that the problem continues. It has to me manually setup. Again.
nomko

Post by nomko »

AlbertP wrote:@ nomko: it varies between Brother models. A lot of them require a driver download from Brother's website, and there are many different drivers from there.
I've got this: https://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtr ... fo/brother
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

nomko wrote:
AlbertP wrote:@ nomko: it varies between Brother models. A lot of them require a driver download from Brother's website, and there are many different drivers from there.
Thanks, gave it a try, but no go.
Still says "Processing - Unable to get printer status."

I also rebooted my printer server and it works for everything but Mint 13. everything being Mint 11, 10, android tablet, and Windows 7 machines.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

Kelley_Green wrote:
nomko wrote:
Thanks, gave it a try, but no go.

I also rebooted my printer server and it works for everything but Mint 13. everything being Mint 11, 10, android tablet, and Windows 7 machines.
Or perhaps I was doing it wrong? Anyone have any ideas? If this doesn't work I'll have to go back to Mint 12, which I would rather not do.

Thanks,

Kelley
(In case it's relevant, all my Mint installs on this machine have all been 64 bit for the last three or so years and all have been Mint Standard).
DumbCluck

Re: New Mint 13 install. Cannot install Brother HL-2140 prin

Post by DumbCluck »

Is Cups installed? Try uninstalling the printer, then reboot and when the install runs, use cups to search/download for the latest driver.
That worked for me but I have a canon
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

DumbCluck wrote:Is Cups installed? Try uninstalling the printer, then reboot and when the install runs, use cups to search/download for the latest driver.
That worked for me but I have a canon
Yes, cups is installed.
What I have been using to install the printer is this:
by AlbertP on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:58 am

If the normal printing program does not work, you can press Alt-F2, type system-config-printer and press Enter. Then you'll get the old program for managing printers, the Add button is at the top. You'll then be able to add your printer and select the model from the list.
The standard printer install installs a Generic Line printer which is what it did in LM 12 as well. The above was able to fix it, but in LM 13 it doesn't.

I'll uninstall it, again (for about the 10th time), and try running cups manually, if I can figure that out, 1st after a reboot.
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

I found and tried this
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/194
except that what is happening in the browser doesn't match what is in the instructions.

The browser steps you through the exact same steps as the command system-config-printer does and doesn't work.

The instructions break down at step 4, plus I don't have a PPD file. Guess I'll have to find one. :roll:
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

Got the driver from here:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Bro ... er-HL-2140
Brother-HL-2140-hpijs-pcl5e.ppd

No joy. Still doesn't work. (except for every other PC and tablet in the house, none of which run LM13, but run LM10, 12, WinXP, 7, and Android ICS)

I have the 32 bit wrappers as I have a 64 bit install of LM13, so I am at a total loss now.

Update: This doesn't work either, step 5b, and the 2140 isn't even listed.
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... prn1a.html
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

I thought I would try it again. Nothing works. LM13 will not print to a Brother HL-2140 laser printer.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

About the PPD file, you can add your printer in system-config-printer and when it asks for the make/model, specify the PPD file instead. Or didn't this work?
Kelley_Green

Post by Kelley_Green »

AlbertP wrote:About the PPD file, you can add your printer in system-config-printer and when it asks for the make/model, specify the PPD file instead. Or didn't this work?
That didn't work.

Return to “Hardware Support”