[SOLVED] Whatsapp for Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MarkLaw19

[SOLVED] Whatsapp for Linux Mint?

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hello to all,

Just want to ask you all is there any specific application for Linux Mint in order to run whatsapp messenger? Like in windows we have bluestacks to run android apps in windows, so is there any such software for linux as well?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
axel668

Re: Whatsapp for Linux Mint?

Post by axel668 »

whatsapp seems to be mobile only, they don't even support Windows or Mac. you could technically run it in an android emulator (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1026 ... r-on-linux) but honestly I don't think it will be much fun to use ... maybe you'd better go for a messenger with better cross platform support, something like GTalk or Skype maybe.
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Thanks for your reply.. Got the Android SDK to work but after i finished installing Whatsapp into it, and i input my mobile no, then i got error message saying "Unable to connect, Please try again later." How to fix that?

I know that there is other messenger out there but most of my friends uses Whatsapp and i don't want to spend my money buying Android phone just to get Whatsapp working, its not my habit to buy software thats the main reason i'm using Linux OS in the first place..
izzo

Post by izzo »

MarkLaw19 wrote:Thanks for your reply.. Got the Android SDK to work but after i finished installing Whatsapp into it, and i input my mobile no, then i got error message saying "Unable to connect, Please try again later." How to fix that?
MOBILE
PHONE
APP
ONLY
:roll:
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

you can always try pidgin, i believe it's pretty similar.
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

izzo wrote:
MarkLaw19 wrote:Thanks for your reply.. Got the Android SDK to work but after i finished installing Whatsapp into it, and i input my mobile no, then i got error message saying "Unable to connect, Please try again later." How to fix that?
MOBILE
PHONE
APP
ONLY
:roll:
I know that! But sometimes you don't want to buy phones just because you want to Whatsapping when after a while people will abandoned it just like friendster, msn or anything like that.. So instead of wasting your money for that you can always say "I just want to run it in my computer since my conputer is more powerful than that expensive phone when after 1 or 2 years it got outdated." Besides there are many emulators out there and many apps that does not meant to be run in PC in the first place, like Play Station games for instance. So please don't say something like "MOBILE PHONE APP ONLY" as it is not entirely true anymore.
izzo

Post by izzo »

MarkLaw19 wrote:So please don't say something like "MOBILE PHONE APP ONLY" as it is not entirely true anymore.
I know!!!! So please LET ME KNOW WHEN (IF) YOU MAKE IT WORK, DEAL?
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

izzo wrote:
MarkLaw19 wrote:So please don't say something like "MOBILE PHONE APP ONLY" as it is not entirely true anymore.
Right, i'll post it here if i get it to work.. Sorry if i sound rude in my last post anyway.. Peace :D
odo5435

Post by odo5435 »

izzo wrote:
There's no real need for all the shouting, is there mate?
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hello to the people here, i come here to update this topic.

I managed to get the Whatsapp running in Linux Mint. I use the Android SDK with Android 2.3.3 ARM Processor. the Android 4.1 didn't work.
mustafaneemuch

Re: [SOLVED] Whatsapp for Linux Mint?

Post by mustafaneemuch »

Hello

its very nice that you got whatsapp working on desktop, would you pls guide how to get it to work like that.
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

Hello mustafaneemuch,

I don't know if you need this anymore, but I'll post it anyway.

I first install Android SDK from this website:

[url]http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html[/url]

You need to download the Android SDK from the website. Make sure download the Linux version.

Alternatively, you can use the information from this website to set up Android SDK:

[url]http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/07/install-android-sdk-manager-revision-20.html[/url]

Its kind of outdated but it is easier to install from there and it can also be updated from the tools.

Once you have the Android SDK installed, install the Android 2.3.3 packages. The rest you can follow this youtube video since this video is the guide that i used in order to get my Wahtsapp working. Instead of using Android 4.2 as what is demonstrated in the video, you can use Android 2.3.3 since this is the only API that i find working in my system.

Don't hesitate to ask any question if you stuck in any of the process.
mateo

Post by mateo »

@Marklaw19. you mention a youtube link but I don't see it?
I
MarkLaw19

Post by MarkLaw19 »

To mateo,

Here is the youtube link that i used to set up Whatsapp in Android SDK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APa2vAmQWvo

If it is working for you please let me know. Don't mind his language, maybe he's from some Arabic country. Just follow his step to set you Whatsapp.

Return to “Software & Applications”