A POST issue after update

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
leopoldbirkholm

A POST issue after update

Post by leopoldbirkholm »

Hello follow Mints,

I have a Dell Latitude E4300. It works very well and I have tried my way back and forth with Linux the last couple of months. I decided to try out the Cinnamon enviroment but now I have a hickup.

I installed the Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit system on the Dell. Rebooted, installed the locked driver and did an update of the system. Upon prompt, I did a re-boot. Then I got some strange POST-message saying “You need to de-frag your RAM”. I’m thinking “Da F*q?” but OK. It’s a BIOS-message so I started the process. The process has now halted at this image:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9r5fvtoudzhk4 ... .32.13.jpg

The screen is somewhat black and blue with blue lines and an odd mass of blue in the center.

I do need help here. First of all, anyone give me a search-string? Like “You should search for this and this”. If you have the time and the will, please, write a few lines of what might cause this. I would greatly appreciated it. :D

What have I done so far then? Searched for “defrag ram” on the Internet. Seems to be a scam aimed at Microsoft users. I was thinking of searching for “blue screen” but that is not quite the issue here. It’s a blue screen but not from a Microsoft crash. So right now I am just standing at the computer with no idea on what to troubleshoot.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: A POST issue after update

Post by palo »

Could not find anything in a search either. In most cases a reboot clears ram but I remember reading somewhere that sometimes a certain bit of video memory can be retained on a reboot - a different result from a shutdown and boot. You can call Dell maybe for advice but if it were me... first step would be shutdown, wait, and then cold boot.
leopoldbirkholm

Post by leopoldbirkholm »

@ palo, just a reboot is suuch a Microsoft way of solving problems, if you may excuse my sense of humor. :)

Yeah, I got some more. I rebooted and went into the BIOS to check settings. Love fiddling with BIOS. It can be so fun. :mrgreen:

OK, so I turn it of. Look into the BIOS and set the settings to make a full POST check. Done and done. I click "Exit". On this BIOS it means shutdown so I turn it on again. This time I have the time to notice the error message. It says "The memory has been changed. Press F1 to continue, F2 to abort and F5 to run further diagnostic"

OK, because I love run diagnostic I must have pressed "F5". That solved the "why did I get this problem" - I runed diagnostic. That remains is "what is this problem".
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

How old is the laptop? If the battery on the motherboard is dead, the BIOS can't remember anything and you might get strange messages like these.

Return to “Open Chat”