How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Postby SingularityUtopia on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 am

I want to change the colors for the Baldr theme, and perhaps change some other aspects. How do I do this?

How can I create my own theme? :idea:

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes
SingularityUtopia
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Postby homerscousin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I'd like to be able to do the same thing. I posted a bit in a thread or 2 just a bit lower on this page. I'm running Mint 13 KDE but I suspect what I have learned pertains to all Linux desktops. There appear to be NO current up to date programs for theme creation in Linux as there are for Windows. It can be done, but (hey, other people do it) you will need to spend a lot of time understanding how it all fits together. Some of the theme stuff is written in c++ or QT. Some of the stuff is in .svgz files. I don't have all this organized in my head yet, but maybe over the next month or 2 it will start making sense. I hope you are serious about theme creation and some day write a great tutorial for the rest of us.
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.
homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SingularityUtopia on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:05 am

So Linux Mint is open source yes? If so where can I find the source code for the baldr theme so I can edit it to have the colors I want?
SingularityUtopia
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Baldr is a theme by bimsebasse. You can download it from the Cinnamon Spices website: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/38. That is for Cinnamon 1.6, but you can from that page also download the old 1.4 theme (it is of course also installed on your computer). Themes are human readable text files and images, there is no separate source code.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper