Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Emerson Prado

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by Emerson Prado »

Emerson Prado wrote:...at work, Mate works good, except is looks like Gnome 3 Fallback mode, with the two panels and such. I wanted it to be just like I had in Gnome 2. Did I do anything wrong?
I found out that I'm not running into a "Gnome sHell heritage" issue or something like that. It's just that Mate also has the option of having two panels, and my desktop is configured this way. Just right-clicking in the panels and hitting "About" told me everything (it says "mate-panel", not "gnome-panel") - besides I purged almost anything Gnome here (and gnome-pty-helper and gnome-settings-daemon don't show up anymore in the ps I mentioned above).
Does someone have a hint on how to configure my desktop for a single panel?

Best regards,
Emerson
j.rueger

Post by j.rueger »

Emerson Prado wrote: Does someone have a hint on how to configure my desktop for a single panel?
Sure ;)
You can just right-click the panel you don't want and select "delete this panel". Make sure to move the applets you want to keep to the other panel first, or you'll have to re-add them. (All configurable via the right-click context menu)

Best regards,
Julian
opiumpoetry

Post by opiumpoetry »

perberos wrote:Installation issue:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate
thank you for creating MATE and thanks to the Mint devs for adding the Mint menu to it. the 2 put together give me everything i've always wanted since dumping Windows 2 years ago!
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

@Perberos creator of MATE DE, Have 2 questions 4 you:

1. How do I hybernnate my computer, the mint menu only shows these options: suspend, restart, cancel, shutdown, there's no hybernate option, how do I hybernate then???

2. Why the MATE screensaver doesn't allow the user to install more screensavers or why it doesn't work with the xscreensavers data like in gnome 2???
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
SidharthaXx

Post by SidharthaXx »

After playing around with Cinnamon for a while (on a very new laptop) I decided it wasn't ready for primetime... still too many niggles. Font rendering for example.

I moved to MATE which I thought felt like a much more mature, stable product.... BUT it still doesn't work well with Compiz... all sorts of bugs I found.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

heavy metal wrote: 1. How do I hybernnate my computer, the mint menu only shows these options: suspend, restart, cancel, shutdown, there's no hybernate option, how do I hybernate then???
In Ubuntu 12.04 - Mint 13 hibernate is disabled by default. You can search for how to enable it.
Morrog

Post by Morrog »

Monsta wrote:Oh. That's the question I wanted to ask: is there a thread with list of Gnome 2 features still missing in MATE? If not, I think it won't hurt to create one. :)
this would actually be pretty great. not necessarily a side-by-side comparison with gnome 2.32, but an overview of what already works, what sort of works and what is missing could be damn useful.

if it already exists somewhere, well done.
ulrichard

Post by ulrichard »

Hi,

I initially installed Mint13 cinnamon on my netbook. But since it has a gma500 it used the fallback mode which is not so nice. So I wanted to convert to Mate.
After executing the following command, I had something that looked almost as oldfashioned as with gnome2 on debian:
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
Then I executed this command, which made the experience a lot better. It's almost there, but the widgets (buttons, scrollbars ...) still look oldfashioned:
apt-get install mint-meta-mate

Is there an easy way to get to the full Mate experience from here?

Rgds
Richard
xpander

Post by xpander »

ulrichard wrote:Hi,

I initially installed Mint13 cinnamon on my netbook. But since it has a gma500 it used the fallback mode which is not so nice. So I wanted to convert to Mate.
After executing the following command, I had something that looked almost as oldfashioned as with gnome2 on debian:
apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
Then I executed this command, which made the experience a lot better. It's almost there, but the widgets (buttons, scrollbars ...) still look oldfashioned:
apt-get install mint-meta-mate

Is there an easy way to get to the full Mate experience from here?

Rgds
Richard
i think u need sudo apt-get install mint-meta-mate to get all the mint related stuff, with mate-desktop-environment installation you have the basic theming and stuff like that

oh wait..u allready installed that :D

well that should be all i think.
u can check the synaptic package manager tho.. type "mate" into the searchbox and check more stuff to install if something is missing.
perberos

Post by perberos »

heavy metal wrote:1. How do I hybernnate my computer, the mint menu only shows these options: suspend, restart, cancel, shutdown, there's no hybernate option, how do I hybernate then???
1. Maybe it's a bug. It need to be researched.
heavy metal wrote:2. Why the MATE screensaver doesn't allow the user to install more screensavers or why it doesn't work with the xscreensavers data like in gnome 2???
2. An hack should be enough to fix it.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

my experiences installing mint13 mate on a cq57

Post by bmike1 »

Okay.... I was happily running Mint 12 when I decided to try Mint13. So I D/L and install it, then reboot the computer. So it loads and then asks for my password. I enter it, press return, and the stupid thing panics on me. So I figure it was okay.... I'll just put Mint 12 back on; but try as I may it would not reinstall! So I was freaking out but I figured I would try to install mint 13 again. Well, I installed it, rebooted and it didn't panic. I then ran the system update and unplugged it. Now mint 12 would panic when it ran on the battery until I installed kernel 3.1.4. I am hoping I won't have to install a new kernel in mate. Things in that regard are looking quite positive! It has been on battery for about 30 minutes now and no panic. (the battery states it ha 3 hours and 55 minutes left on an 85% chaarge) The only problem I see is that the mouse pad will not click when I tap it.
:)~Mikey~(:
tommyb.

Post by tommyb. »

i sucessfully installed MATE 1.4 on my LM13 MATE 64-bit box.....however some things still dont work properly

(1) Cover Thumbnailer doesnt work (it does when I first use Nautilus and then caja)
(2) Networkspeed Applet crashes on mulit-instances (like one for VPN, 2nd for LAN, third for WLAN)
(3) Dropbox overlay icons dont work

Any solution<<<<<< available? TY
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

perberos wrote:
heavy metal wrote:1. How do I hybernnate my computer, the mint menu only shows these options: suspend, restart, cancel, shutdown, there's no hybernate option, how do I hybernate then???
1. Maybe it's a bug. It need to be researched.
heavy metal wrote:2. Why the MATE screensaver doesn't allow the user to install more screensavers or why it doesn't work with the xscreensavers data like in gnome 2???
2. An hack should be enough to fix it.
@Perberos:
Thank you for your response, but about the hybernation issue, with other DE I only used it from time to time so is not a big issue I can pass that, and concerning about the screensaver I solved it installing XScreenSaver the only issue using XScreensaver and not Mate Screensaver is that when you Suspend the PC when you wake up the pc it doesn't lock, don't ask for your password so any people can wakeup your computer and use it because it logs you automatically into the desktop, thank you anyway for giving us a way to continue using an DE who works like the defunct gnome 2!(Thanks to the LinuxMint Crew Too!)
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
snake2903

Post by snake2903 »

Is there any advanced config manager for marco window manager?
Something like CompizConfig Setting Manager?

In mate-conf there is no so much setting to change for marco.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

snake2903 wrote:Is there any advanced config manager for marco window manager?
Something like CompizConfig Setting Manager?

In mate-conf there is no so much setting to change for marco.
I think that marco is more like gnome 2's metacity than compiz. Metacity, at least as I remember, didn't have many, if any configuration abilities. You could install compiz on MATE, but there seems to be a lot of problems (or at least there were) with using compiz with MATE.
WildTux

Post by WildTux »

Screenlets do not work well. Picture freezes
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

For everyone who was asking about Compiz, I've forked 0.8.8 (and all its derivatives, including CCSM /python-compizconfig 0.8.4) for MATE, as well as gnome2-globalmenu as mate-globalmenu :)

For LMDE, but that shouldn't be a problem for main edition, no? :)
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&t=114613
RytronII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RytronII »

MATE needs a better session control feature.
Husse: "Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it."
steveplatz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steveplatz »

bdantas wrote:I found a solution to the resize arrows on the panel:

Add this to your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file. Create the the file if you don't have one (I didn't have one in my Linux Mint 12 MATE, so I created it).

Code: Select all

style "default-style"
{
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-height = 0
  GtkWindow::resize-grip-width = 0
}

class "GtkWidget" style "default-style"
Now the resize arrows on the bottom-right of the MATE panels are gone :) Thanks goes out to stinkeye on the Ubuntu forums (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1771057) for the tip.

I am having the same issue with the bottom right resize handles appearing on all windows, but this solution didn't work for me. I'll continue to research a solution and post back if I find something.

**edit** I have not been able to remove the handles entirely; however, I was able to remove the handle on the bottom panel by following these instructions to update MATE. It was the handle in the bottom right of the panel that I found annoying, if nothing else. Hope this helps someone.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

preview nef files in caja

Post by bmike1 »

I have a little problem; caja will not preview nef (nikon's raw image) files. I increased the file size that would preview and that caused it to work until I trasfered the files from the camera's sd card to the computer. Then it didn't work on either device (sd or computer). Ever heard of this problem?

mint13
Caja 1.2.1
:)~Mikey~(:

Return to “MATE”