Freezing when lid is closed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AR

Freezing when lid is closed

Post by AR »

Hey guys, New to linux and new to Mint but so far I love it.

I have installed it on my Dell Inspiron 2200 and it runs lovely and I am working on converting my brother. However I have one catch, on his Dell Latitude will freeze when the lid is opened back up. This happens whether it is plugged in or not and I have tried changing the power managment seetings to no avail. The screen will be black but backlit with a mouse cursor that will not move. If i hold down the power button and restart everything is fine but as soon as I close the lid again it repeats the problem.

The only other thing I have noticed that is different between these two installs is that when his loads his "boot choice screen" (I don't really know what its called) the screen where you can choose to either start in safe graphics mode or run memtest, won't show up immediatly, he must hit escape twice and is then taken to a black and blue screen where he chooses normal startup. I don't know if these tow are related but I figured I would include it here.

Thanks for your help!
-Randy
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AR

Re: Freezing when lid is closed

Post by AR »

Sorry forgot to specify it is a stock Dell latitude D505 that is giving me the trouble
Thanks again!
listdata_345

Post by listdata_345 »

I'm having the same trouble as well with my D505 when closing the lid, running Daryna.
listdata_345

Post by listdata_345 »

Summary: I found a solution; I just changed 1 line of code in the "xorg.conf" file.

Hmm, well, I just realized that since Mint is based off of Ubuntu, that the Ubuntu forums would be flooded with the same grievances. Just google "ubuntu lid close blank" or something and you'll see.

Anyway, long story short, this is what I did on my D505, and now the problem is gone! (well, when I open the lid, the screen looks really glitchy for like 2 seconds, but other than that, it seems to work fine).

I am using all default settings that come with Mint 4.0. The key is to use the i810 graphics driver that comes with the default 4.0 installation (by default, Mint uses the newer "intel" driver, which seems to be causing problems for all of us with laptops and closing lids). To enable the i810 driver, you need to edit the "xorg.conf" file, in the /etc/X11/ directory.

I sort of borrowed the command used for editing grub's menu.lst file, so this is what I typed into the Terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etcX11/xorg.conf
It seems to be that the "X11" part is case-sensitive. Anyway, in the xorg.conf file, I just replaced the "intel" part with "i810" since i810 was already installed and ready to go. (If you really want to make sure that the i810 driver is there, you can go System -> Package Manager and search for it (it should be called "xserver-xorg-video-i810").

So it went from this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
	Driver		"intel"
	BusID		"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
to this:

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device"
	Driver		"i810"