Mint 13KDE - anyone else have sound problems? (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 13KDE - anyone else have sound problems? (SOLVED)

Post by phd7 »

Hi,
When pausing a DVD, or muting a video streamed via http..the sound doesnt always come back, without me having to jig the playback controls or reselecting the audio track. It doesnt always happen.

I have opened VLC via terminal but no error messages are shown.

I gave it a few weeks of updates but it is still happening?
Doesnt happen on any other distros I use.

Anyone else have this problem?

Code: Select all

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fandangio

Re: Mint 13KDE - anyone else have sound problems?

Post by Fandangio »

I am definitely not an expert in audio config but I have experienced a similar problem and I think I have solved it.

Just right click on the sound icon (Kmix) and then swap the master channel. It worked for me.
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

[quote="phd7"] Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have the same thing happening with VLC, playing videos stored on my hard drive, pause the play back and it will not resume.
Kaffeine playing same videos is OK, resume playing after pause works, must be a VLC issue.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

I had only problems with VLC and no sound. Therefore you have to install the 'VLC-plugin-pulse' from Synaptic. I am not sure we're talking about the same issue here...but installing the plug-in is usually a good thing to do.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
water spirit

Post by water spirit »

midas wrote:I had only problems with VLC and no sound. Therefore you have to install the 'VLC-plugin-pulse' from Synaptic. I am not sure we're talking about the same issue here...but installing the plug-in is usually a good thing to do.
I installed the 'VLC-plugin-pulse' from Synaptic and it fixed my issue, Thank you.
phd7
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phd7 »

Fandangio wrote:I am definitely not an expert in audio config but I have experienced a similar problem and I think I have solved it.

Just right click on the sound icon (Kmix) and then swap the master channel. It worked for me.
Idid it a slightly different way, via multimedai/phonon in system settings and changed all I could to HDMi audio. Seems to have done the trick, thanks

DVD sound perfect in SMplayer. VLC is indeed buggy re: sound
pabloikba

Post by pabloikba »

phd7 wrote:
Fandangio wrote:I am definitely not an expert in audio config but I have experienced a similar problem and I think I have solved it.

Idid it a slightly different way, via multimedai/phonon in system settings and changed all I could to HDMi audio. Seems to have done the trick, thanks

DVD sound perfect in SMplayer. VLC is indeed buggy re: sound
How did you get to multimedia/phonon? I can't find anything in systems settings resembling that.
Thanks
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint 13KDE - anyone else have sound problems? (SOLVED)

Post by LindseyD. »

System Settings-->Hardware-->Multimedia (the last icon on the right)

PS: I find it easier to just type what I'm looking for in the search box--then the appropriate icon gets highlighted.
Mint17 KDE
MrSlip

Post by MrSlip »

Installing the vlc pulse plugin fixed the problem for me. Thanks.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LindseyD. »

Fandangio, I hope you're still here. What do you mean by "swap"? I've tried every sound solution except this and the HDMI one suggested above, because I don't see any HDMI options to choose.

PS: KDE keeps giving me messages about sound devices that have been removed. No idea what they're talking about.
Mint17 KDE
aceleron

Post by aceleron »

MrSlip wrote:Installing the vlc pulse plugin fixed the problem for me. Thanks.
Idem.

Maybe this problem is solved in mint 14 edition.

Return to “Software & Applications”