I did the rolling update from 4 to 5 this morning. I was hoping for no breaks in the system but I was realistically expecting something to break. Just not as many as I found though.
Within 5 mins after a reboot, I identified the following (which are still to be fixed somehow). I expect if I found this many after 5 mins, the list will double or triple once I actually start using the system.
1) Autokey stops working:
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/constants.py:24: Warning: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for Notify
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/autokey", line 20, in <module>
from autokey.gtkapp import Application
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/autokey/gtkapp.py", line 29, in <module>
from gtkui.notifier import get_notifier
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/autokey/gtkui/notifier.py", line 19, in <module>
from gi.repository import Gtk, Notify
ImportError: cannot import name Notify
2) google-chrome stops working (stable 22 release)
When I start, nothing happens, if I start from a terminal, I see this:
--2012-10-16 10:37:22-- https://clients2.google.com/cr/report
WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /home/durdle/.cache/keyring-txGzTH/pkcs11: No such file or directory
Resolving clients2.google.com (clients2.google.com)... 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, ...
Connecting to clients2.google.com (clients2.google.com)|184.108.40.206|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `/dev/fd/3'
[ <=> ] 16 --.-K/s in 0s
2012-10-16 10:37:27 (2.40 MB/s) - `/dev/fd/3' saved 
Crash dump id: 759b86dc0bf3ce1a
3) Lotus Note 8.5.3 stops working. Loops on "loading.. please wait". Likely one of the plugins is not loading because something it relies on decided to break via UP5.
4) keepass2 stopped working but keepassX continues to function.
Debug info from gdb:
Got a SIGSEGV while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
5) vmware doesn't want to start (I am using the same kernel as before the upgrade so kernel modules are loaded and were not altered as part of the upgrade).
I've updated from UP2 to UP3 to UP4 in the past. They all went relatively smooth, even to UP4.