Change size of desktop font

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
netjammr

Change size of desktop font

Post by netjammr »

Hello all,
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but I would like to know how to change the font size of my desktop fonts. I have searched Google and the Mint forums but none provide answers for my setup. I am:
Linux Mint Maya
64bit
Cinnamon 1.4
Theme: I will post later if necessary.
Thinkpad X200

I have tried using Cinnamon Settings but while I can edit other font settings, I cannot edit those for the desktop. I installed and ran dbconf-editor, navigated to Org, Cinnamon, Nautilus, Desktop but the font setting is greyed out and I cannot edit. I've also tried editing the css file for my theme but there isn't a class or id (from what I could tell) labeled as desktop that might style the desktop fonts.
So that's where I'm at right now. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Change size of desktop font

Post by twodogs »

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

Open dconf-editor and navigate to
>org>gnome>nautilus>desktop
You will see 'font' which is the fourth item down the list on the right
Click the space next to it and enter font and size
Ex- Droid Sans 9
Close the editor

Have fun!
and mark this post as [SOLVED]
netjammr

Post by netjammr »

Twodogs - Thanks for replying to my question. Unfortunately, upon re-reading I see I didn't accurately describe the actions I'd already taken. I mistakenly said I navigated to Org -> Cinnamon -> Nautilus -> Desktop when in actuality I had navigated to the the path you mentioned Org -> Gnome -> nautilus -> desktop. The "Font" section is grayed out. You can see in the attached image.

Thanks for the help.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

netjammr wrote:Twodogs - Thanks for replying to my question. Unfortunately, upon re-reading I see I didn't accurately describe the actions I'd already taken. I mistakenly said I navigated to Org -> Cinnamon -> Nautilus -> Desktop when in actuality I had navigated to the the path you mentioned Org -> Gnome -> nautilus -> desktop. The "Font" section is grayed out. You can see in the attached image.

Thanks for the help.
Hi.
Just click the space next to 'font' right between the checked box above and the one below. It looks greyed out, but it will let you enter text. After you type in text (ex: Sans 9) just hit enter and you should see it immediately.

Good luck!
netjammr

Post by netjammr »

Ha, that did it twodogs. You are the man, dog! Now if I could just get Conky to work I'd be set! Cheers buddy.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

netjammr wrote:Ha, that did it twodogs. You are the man, dog! Now if I could just get Conky to work I'd be set! Cheers buddy.
You are very welcome. :)
bokili88

Post by bokili88 »

Hi twodogs as you may see im new here and i quite like Linux mint so far :) Anyway i did all as you sad in recent post but my font size is still the same.I tried with different font and size - still nothing.Forgot to say that im using Linux MInt Maya Cinnamon....any idea what can i do more? tnx
Last edited by bokili88 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

Hi, are you sure that you have the font installed. Is it spelled correctly? Show me what you are typing? Thanks.
bokili88

Post by bokili88 »

Hey,tnx for the quick reply. About font,im sure cause thats system font that im using as default font and i type "Sans 9" without quotes.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

Are you using Nemo? or Nautilus?

For Nautilus navigate to >org>gnome>nautilus>desktop

and for Nemo navigate to >org>nemo>desktop

You might be in the wrong place, double check, and see if that helps. =)

To find out if its Nemo or Nautilus, open your home folder and click 'Help' and then 'About.'
bokili88

Post by bokili88 »

I'm using Nemo ;) Damn,how i didint see that before :) Tnx for help mate,if u come to Serbia once i'll buy you a beer ;)
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

bokili88 wrote:i'll buy you a beer ;)
Sounds good to me! :)

Return to “Cinnamon”