New features for Elyssa KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

New features for Elyssa KDE

Post by Boo »

So it is time to start thinking of how to improve mint KDE for the Elyssa edition.
Things to think about and post:
What apps to add/remove
What type of theme/background

Of course there will be the improvements from ubuntu 8.04 by default.
I know lots of people will want KDE4 but I don't think it will have enough apps ported to it or be stable enough.

I have already started reducing the distro size and so far I'm down to 802MB.
I don't know how much smaller I can get it without removing OO.o and/or Gimp.

So start the ideas coming.

***EDIT***List of apps suggested so far.***EDIT***

Application List:
Koffice
Krita (replace Gimp)
Kmail
Picasa
Dolphin
KDETV (or some TV app)
songbird
Firefox 3
-Gimp
show synaptic in menu
iplist
hplip (update)
SuperKaramba
CD-software-repository.
RSSowl (replace AKregrator)
KBFX (replace tastymenu)
KDE4 (replace KDE3)
dmraid
smplayer (front end to mplayer)

other changes:
New theme and icons.
KDE mint sounds

Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Fred

Re: New features for Elyssa KDE

Post by Fred »

Boo,

I think "Dolphin" would be a good addition. It is an additive GUI. Now if the move/copy to context menu was there like in "Konqueror"..... :-)

For what it is worth, I think you did a great job on Mint 4 KDE CE.

Enjoy life,

Fred
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi,
i would appreciate a lot, if you included a TV Visualization program, KDETV? not sure, you probably know something better.

JP
dracorX

Post by dracorX »

hm... there would be songbird that i'd appreciate much (as i can't get it running correctly (at least on cassandra)
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

Guys, I think Boo is asking which core apps do you think he should include. Think about the apps included in Mint Main Edition, and then which KDE equivalents we would like to see in Mint KDE. Stuff like KDE TV and Songbird don't really have equivalents in Mint Main Edition, thus they are not really core apps. Otherwise, adding apps like that will push the distro further away from the goal of a CD-sized ISO.

I could be wrong. Just my 2-cents...

--Akshun J
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

akshunj
you may have a point there.

but my point is exactly that, an TV application should be core.

Mint is a distro that works perfectly out of the box.
one of the key "features" for this is having a very "friendly" way to work with media formats, sound, image, video. and they have this by having codecs installed & configured.

Having this said, for me a TV application is just a step further, because tv cards are very common these days.

best regards,
JP
Fred

Post by Fred »

Boo,

If you don't mind, I'll chime in one idea at a time. I don't have very many good ideas and I certainly don't get them in nice neat batches. :-)

It is always nice to get the size of a distro down so that it will fit on a cd, but I hope that is not a high priorly for you. After all, KDE is a big, (size wise), DE. Personally, I would rather see you use your efforts to make it fast and complete. If it fits a cd, fine. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

A considerable percentage of your users will be relatively new to linux and/or KDE. Give them a good cross section of programs that are available for Linux and the KDE DE. A best of breed for linux and KDE and at least one program to do about anything the average user might want to do. If there is such a thing as an average user. :-)

Speed! Try not to run anything on start-up that doesn't really have to run. And since this is a desktop OS, I would consider using "preload" as default. It certainly makes the desktop feel faster.

Firefox 2.xx is soooo slow. I would highly recommend that you take a serious look at using one of the later beta's of Firefox 3.0, if you can find one that will work ok. I am using the "Firefox 3.0 3b beta" now and I have had no real problem with it, on my equipment anyway. Still some rough edges, but so much faster.

Enough for one post. :-)

Fred
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

ed@Mint wrote:Hi, just wanted to make a suggestion.

I know firefox and thunderbird form a nice duo for browsing and mailing, but since this is a KDE edition, why not use Kmail instead of thunderbird ?
I would not recommend to use Konqueror instead of firefox (though it's a great browser) because firefox is still (to my taste) a little superior to Konqueror.
(Just talking about web browsing here, otherwise i just love konqueror as file manager and all-in-one tool !)

And by the way, why not use Koffice instead of open office ?
I think koffice is a really nice office suite, fully compatible with ODF, and very promising for it's upcoming version 2.0.

This is it.
Continue the great work you've done with Daryna KDE CE, you guys rock :P
Ooooo. I think those are good calls. I think KMail is even integrated with KOffice as part of KDE's PIM suite, isn't it? I agree that for a web browser, Konqueror is not there yet. It would be way cooler if the KDE folks put Konqueror out of it's misery, used Dolphin as the file manager, and QT'ified Firefox. Just my opinion...

--Akshun J
Fred

Post by Fred »

akshunj,

If it weren't for the fact that Firefox was so bloated, I would agree with you. I really think that Konq. has more potential in the long run, but you are right, it isn't anywhere near being there yet. It is in bad need of more development resources. I haven't looked at KDE 4 yet. I am hoping that some major improvements are there.

Fred
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

You can't say the Koffice suports all formats in a reasonable way ... with this graph from the guys at Koffice
http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.6/

has you can see there stilla lot of suported formats on the ** rank, and you can also read what ** means :)

Best regards,
JP
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

jpedrosa wrote:You can't say the Koffice suports all formats in a reasonable way ... with this graph from the guys at Koffice
http://www.koffice.org/filters/1.6/

has you can see there stilla lot of suported formats on the ** rank, and you can also read what ** means :)

Best regards,
JP
It's a "good enough" solution in my opinion, although I hear you. But if someone needs more, they can install OpenOffice from the repositories. Again, just my opinion. KOffice isn't great, but it doesn't really suck either.

Again, I wish KDE just QT-ified OpenOffice and called it a day. They have SO many projects out there. Why they try to have their own web browser, office suite, email client, etc. is beyond me. It makes KDE's reach exceed it's grasp such that they just end up disappointing a lot of their fans. Gnome gets to sit back and reap the benefits of projects like Firefox and OpenOffice. KDE should take a lesson. Ask me how I really feel...

--Akshun J
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

ed@Mint wrote:I think that "Qt-ify" or "KDE-ify" applications such as OpenOffice or Mozilla stuff would more or less be equal to KDE making their own applications :wink:
That is way beyond a few function calls to adjust...
And i think it's nice they're making things their way.
Not *quite* equal to making their own, although I certainly don't mean to imply that it's a cake-walk. It's just that KDE has soooo many projects that it tries to maintain. OpenOffice and Mozilla are independent (of Gnome or Linux) projects that are under heavily development with lots of resources. KDE just can't put the same kind of effort into developing KOffice.

But this was just an idle rant. I bear no grudge toward KOffice. As I said, I think it's a "good enough" solution for Mint KDE's purposes...

--Akshun J
jokersloose

Post by jokersloose »

I've read in this tread where the goal is to try to keep Mint small enough to load on a CD instead of a DVD. I was wondering if all of the features of OpenOffice are needed for the ISO image? What I am getting at is this: How many normal PC users ever open things like the spreadsheet, presentation, etc. I know for me I use the word processor, pdf reader in my day to day use. Maybe just load them in the main ISO image and then let people install the other options "if" they need them.

Just a thought.

James
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Lose GIMP!!!!

I always say... even if Photoshop came free with Windows it would be useless for average users. Same goes with GIMP, it's just complete over kill for a general image editing app for 99% of people. People just need the basics... resize, crop, colour correct, sharpen etc. Anyone who wants more than that will of heard of GIMP and will know where to get it.

Lucky on KDE in Krita you have a very good image application that can easily replace GIMP.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I agree with ed@Mint and belovedmonster. Krita is a better default app. for the KDE version. Anybody that needs anything more powerful can always install it from the repos.

Fred
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

One more vote for Krita! 8)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

First off, thanks to all who created the KDE version. I've switched cold turkey even without having all the programs I want covered in linux and a minor hardware preference issue.

For a new version:

DVD! ! ! ! ! ! More software more software! ! ! Is always better.

Additions:
KMail, please. I don't use dodobird or firecrap, KONQI rules!

Full OpenOffice and KOffice packs.

conky

SuperKaramba

Dump gimp, I have no use for it, or understand it, too complicated. If you need it you can install it.

Updated HPLIP to the newest version for more native support of newer devices.
Last edited by rec9140 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

WOW, I just had a flash! Well... for me it is a flash.

I keep a upgrade text file with, among other things, all the programs that I usually add to KDE installs. Then I just paste the sudo apt-get -y install program1 program2, etc. into a terminal and let it run while I do something else.

It would be a simple matter, and take up very little space to put several groups of programs tied to menu entries to enhance the program content of the distro. You could have a companion entry to remove the group if you chose to. They could of course be grouped in any number of ways.

I would rather see us keep the dvd format but I understand the desire to get it onto a cd. Besides I can see the writing on the wall. It will be a cd this time. But something like the above would make it possible to fill out the program complement for new users easily.

Fred
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by joutlan »

RSSOwl is an extremely cool feed reader that's not in the repo's for some reason. Adding that therefore would be super great !

Synaptic....please add to the menu.

Picasa is a standard must have app anymore.

Those are my 3 recommendations !!

thanks for your consideration.
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

theZoid wrote: Picasa is a standard must have app anymore.
In my world Picasa sucks moose! (In Swedish that is NOT a compliment!)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

Return to “Software & Applications”