Mint 14 - mint-meta-mate question, what brought in k3b?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
squeezy

Mint 14 - mint-meta-mate question, what brought in k3b?

Post by squeezy »

Not sure if this is the right forum so please move as needed :)

Today I tried a proto-build to make a Mint 14 MATE installation. Started from the usual Ubuntu mini.iso installation, a Natty mini.iso. For some reason I can't get anything newer than that to pass the network autoconfig on my PC. Anyway, I changed sources to the Quantal repos and added the Mint Nadia repo and Mint preferences file. Updated apt, then did a dist-upgrade to Quantal. No problems there. Rebooted into the new kernel, machine came up as Ubu 12.10 as expected.

Then I installed the mint-meta-mate package. Quite the download, over 600 MB, 880+ packages! When it was downloading I noticed a lot of KDE libraries coming in. :? After installing MDM and Synaptic I rebooted into a Mint 14 installation and looked around a bit. What had pulled in the KDE libraries was k3b!

Here's my question, what pulled in k3b? I looked through the dependencies on the various mint-meta packages and I can find nothing obvious that would trigger k3b to be installed. I also checked vlc as it is a QT application, and a dependency of the meta package, but again no dependency or recommendation for k3b.

I was able to purge k3b and all its dependencies (96 packages total) without triggering the removal of any meta package or other packages. I also removed then reinstalled mint-meta-mate and it did not reinstall k3b. It's got me baffled.

Is k3b going to be the burn software in Mint 14 MATE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Mint 14 - mint-meta-mate question, what brought in k3b?

Post by squeezy »

And a suggestion re: the meta package, caja-gksu and caja-open-terminal should be added as dependencies. I had to add them after the fact.

Overall it's a really nice ride so far :D
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

:wink:

The video driver shows as FAILED in the inxi report, but it's working just fine. dmsg and kern.log show it loading perfectly. I've noticed this on my other forays into Quantal with GNOME and Xfce. Wonder if it's something incompatible with inxi and Quantal? Although I have seen the issue in GNOME's System Settings panel as well. Maybe it's the nouveau driver.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

8) it's the first public inxi

Code: Select all

Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I'm quite the scamp 8)

Return to “Open Chat”