Grub Opening page and changing Boot Order

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Grub Opening page and changing Boot Order

Post by tlcmd »

Forgive me please because these questions must have been asked again and again, but I cannot find the answers via search. Any referral to another post or to my questions would be appreciated.
I have a dual boot: LMDE and Windows XP.
1)) My opening Grub page shows my Linux Debian and the Recovery twice. how can I delete the repeat?
2) My wife still prefers Windows XP. How can i reverse the boot order so that Windows rather than LMDE opens by default?

Thanks,
Dick (aka tlcmd)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cra1g321

Re: Grub Opening page and changing Boot Order

Post by cra1g321 »

Here's a program which i think will allow you change the GRUB2 bootloader - http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/grub-cus ... eased.html

I haven't personally used it so can't say if it's good or not, but seems to be very useful.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

It's pretty easy, but don't mess up or it won't boot.

Look at /boot/grub/menu.lst (grub 1) or /boot/grub/grub.cfg (for grub2, which you probably have). I'll call these the "grub file".

NOTE: You're "supposed" to edit some other files, then run a grub command to update the files above.
I find it a lot easier to just edit the files...

Anyway, make a backup copy of the file you have. (menu.lst or grub.cfg).

Both grubs have a "default=N", where the nth entry in the "grub file" is what gets booted by default (starts with "0" for grub1, not sure about grub2 - you can prolly figger it out!)

As for multiple entries, you can just delete the extra ones; each one will be in one chunk of contiguous lines in the file.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Thanks both of you. Will report back when I geet time to make the changes. Out to dinner and then watch the debate.
Dick (aka tlcmd)
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Back again. Obviously I'm missing something. I'm running LMDE which is up to date. I'd like to get the opening grub page selection options down to just Linux Mint Debian and LMDE recovery and Windows XP.

Can someone walk me through the steps to delete the 2 extra LMDE lines from the login Grub page? Please.
Then I'll ask about changing the boot order.
BTW, I got lost downloading and trying to install Grub Customizer.

Thanks for any help.
Dick (aka tlcmd)
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

you can follow the video on how to remove unwanted grub2 lines such as mem test and old kernels

http://www.noobslab.com/2011/12/remove- ... b2-in.html

regarding changing boot order of grub2, you can follow this tutorial (step5 to 8 for grub2)
http://www.ehow.com/how_6921272_do-grub ... rder_.html

Return to “LMDE Archive”