Can't see Vista folders

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrk.czns

Can't see Vista folders

Post by mrk.czns »

Laptop, 1 hard drive, 2 partitions. Partition 1 = Vista, partition 2 = XP. I installed Mint 10rc while booted in Vista through mint4win. Did the reboot boot and can see options to boot into either Vista,XP or Mint. Naturally choose Mint and all went well.

Whilst in Mint I can mount and see the all the folders I need in XP, but all I can see in Vista are the system folders (boot, Recycler etc) and none of them lead me to the desktop folder what-so-ever where (currently) all my media is stored. Is this because mint isn't in it's "own" partition and is "sharing" the vista partition? Also in the grub boot screen, only mint and xp are given as boot options. I am able to boot into any os at reboot using windows boot loader and all work as they should.

Have previously had Mint installed in it's own partition and had no problem getting vista to mount.

Many thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't see Vista folders

Post by altair4 »

Don't know much about mint4win so excuse the question but the host files are located within the Mint filesystem at /host and /media I think.

Is that where you are looking?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
mrk.czns

Post by mrk.czns »

No sorry, should have stated reasons I need to see vista. While using mint 10 I want to use rythmnbox, all my music is stored in a folder on my vista desktop, but I am unable to get to that folder or even see the vista operating system with mint (can see XP which is on a seperate partition). Was wondering if it was because of the mint4win install and having vista/mint in the same partition. Using mint from the LiveCD I am able to see Vista and XP, only after installing with mint4win am I unable to see Vista. Thanks anyway.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

No sorry, should have stated reasons I need to see vista. While using mint 10 I want to use rythmnbox, all my music is stored in a folder on my vista desktop, but I am unable to get to that folder or even see the vista operating system with mint
That's why I asked you if you looked at /host within Mint. If Mint was installed within Vista then Vista is the host and it's "partition" would be visible within /host.

mint4win in Ubuntu is called Wubi: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%2 ... s%20drives?
How do I access the Windows drives?

The Windows partition where you installed Wubi is available as /host within Ubuntu (places > computer > file system > host) All the other partitions will be available under places > removable media
It's most likely I still don't understand the question since I've never used mint4win or Wubi so it's probably best I leave this for someone who has :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
0ddity

Post by 0ddity »

I had the same problem with Win 7, when I installed Mint using mint4win on the same partition as my Windows install, I couldn't access any of the files from that Windows install. If you install Mint to the partition that has XP, then you will be able to mount and browse the partition that has Vista.
mrk.czns

Re: Can't see Vista folders {SOLVED}

Post by mrk.czns »

altair4, you were "about" right. Looked in hosts and found my way to vista, for me looks like - File System/host/Users and in there I can see all the vista folders. Thank you very much for your help.
zer0nix

Post by zer0nix »

I have a similar problem, except i have linuxmint installed onto a usb drive.

the only partition i can see is the hp 'system restore' partition, in filesystem/media...; i can't see the partition with the vista os at all.

EDIT: OH DARNIT. i found this topic through google and didn't realize it was in the mint4win section. i'll report this question in its own thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”