moving hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

moving hard drive

Post by carlos »

I'm updating my laptop and will be switching my hard drive to the new machine. My question: is mint smart enough to figure out it's in a new machine? Ad will it install most drivers automatically? I figure I'll have to run envy to install the vid driver, but wasn't sure about the rest.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: moving hard drive

Post by JAK »

carlos wrote:I'm updating my laptop and will be switching my hard drive to the new machine. My question: is mint smart enough to figure out it's in a new machine? Ad will it install most drivers automatically? I figure I'll have to run envy to install the vid driver, but wasn't sure about the rest.
Please let us know how it goes after you've done this. Thanks for being a guinea pig :D
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Ha! I surely will. :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

carlos wrote:I'm updating my laptop and will be switching my hard drive to the new machine. My question: is mint smart enough to figure out it's in a new machine?
Should work ... if the laptops are not too different then booting should work OK. Where it probably will fail (especially if the chipsets are different) is:

- X11
- Sound

You'd need to reconfigure those, but that shouldn't be too much of trouble.
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

Hi, I've done the same thing recently, moving a 60gb hard drive from a Toshiba Tecra to a Panasonic Toughbook.

All went very well, I just had to reconfigure X11 from the command line before I could get into Gnome.

Some of the distros on other partitions didn't fare so well though.

Cheers,

Hugh
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing . . .

WARNING this user only has a little knowledge :)
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Thank you both for the info. I should be doing the switch in a day or 2 so I will let you know how it goes.

I must say if that is all that needs to be configured its a far cry from what happens when you switch a windows formtted HD. :wink:

Thanks Again!
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Well good news. The first transfer of the hard drive has gone very well. I originally had an older model Toshiba and basically got a newer one.

They were similarly specked, but some of the subsystems were a bit different. The only real adjustment needed was video resolution.

The next test will be when I transfer the drive to an IBM r40. Hopefully that will happen on the weekend. :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is interesting - I'll eagerly await the "IBM report"
(mostly posted to get this into my posts so I find it again :))
k.newstead

Post by k.newstead »

Hey have done something very similar from a toshiba sp6100 (don't buy - nothing but trouble) to my IBM X20 ultraportable. Have got it to boot into recovery mode but I don't know how to reconfigure the X11 file to get to GUI (xfce in my case)

If anyone more technically sophisticated could point me in the right direction I'd be really greatful :) Don't really have the option to reinstall as have no CDROM :|

cheers
Fred

Post by Fred »

Did you not correct the changed UUIDs, or were you not using UUID?

Fred

EDIT: Never mind.... dumb question. :-)

Return to “Installation & Boot”