Rhythmbox Close to Tray Broken?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
marc1uk

Rhythmbox Close to Tray Broken?

Post by marc1uk »

I recently performed an update that came with the new 'Debian' logon screen, but a side-effect seems to be that the Rhythmbox close to panel/system tray functionality seems to have been lost. I've done some googling but haven't found many other reports of this, so don't have much to go on. I've checked and have the 'status icon' plugin installed in Synaptic as part of the Rhythmbox-Plugins package, but the status icon plugin doesn't appear in the plugins list in Rhythmbox itself. The only other reports I've seen concerning this were on Ubuntu sites, and were reported as being part of the integration of Rhythmbox with the gnome sound manager panel app, making the functionality redundant as a separate icon was no longer needed.
Does this mean non-gnome users will lose system-tray access? Or is this something much simpler? I'm surprised there's not been anyone else raise this if it's a standard result of the update...

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
marc1uk

Re: Rhythmbox Close to Tray Broken?

Post by marc1uk »

Bump. This is really anoying... >:|
poodle

Post by poodle »

Hi Mark,

In my vanilla Debian install I encountered the same problem after swapping gdm for xdm. I then tried gdm3 to get it back but to no extent. On Debian IRC they told me that reverting to gdm might be a solution, but personally I didn't want to go trough that hassle. If it's important to you, you could try it though.

BTW, I'm having the same problem with Rhythmbox in LM12 too, so that would indeed confirm that it's a gdm3 issue.
dritzominous
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dritzominous »

This is exactly why I don't use Rhythmbox.
marc1uk

Post by marc1uk »

poodle wrote:Hi Mark,

In my vanilla Debian install I encountered the same problem after swapping gdm for xdm. I then tried gdm3 to get it back but to no extent. On Debian IRC they told me that reverting to gdm might be a solution, but personally I didn't want to go trough that hassle. If it's important to you, you could try it though.

BTW, I'm having the same problem with Rhythmbox in LM12 too, so that would indeed confirm that it's a gdm3 issue.
hi there poodle,
Thanks for the reply; at least I know it's not just some wierd setup i have here. Unfortunately I tried making the switch back from gdm3 to gdm, but it didn't seem to have any affect. :|
nigo045

Post by nigo045 »

hi,
I found the solution here

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fossfreedom/rhythmbox-plugins
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rhythmbox-plugin-complete
And you need to turn on the plugin in Rhythmbox.
bye
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

[moved here as it is related to lmde]
nigo045,
i would be surprised if that solution works here.

mark1uk,
do you have rhythmbox-plugins installed? this is not an issue with gdm/gdm3/xdm. it's an issue with a possible lost of functionality in rhythmbox due to the update.

Return to “LMDE Archive”