Compiz setup (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Compiz setup (SOLVED)

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have followed the how to http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/506 but when rebooting compiz is not starting. I know that you can add compiz --replace to the startup applications but according to the how-to this should not be necessary. Also I am unable to change the no of desktops in compiz - is this particular to Mate as I found an old bug report about Ubuntu Maverick?

Also I have checked which desktop manager is running and it is Marco.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigbakedbean

Re: Compiz setup

Post by bigbakedbean »

To set Compiz as the default window manager in MATE, you'll want to use mateconftool-2 instead of gconftool-2. Give this a try:

Code: Select all

mateconftool-2 --set /desktop/mate/session/required_components/windowmanager --type string compiz
Regarding the number of workspaces, I'm pretty sure Compiz will honor whatever value Marco is using. You can set this the normal way (right-click the workspace switcher panel applet, then click "Properties") or via this command:

Code: Select all

mateconftool-2 --set /apps/marco/general/num_workspaces --type int 4
Be sure to change 4 to the number of workspaces you desire.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Compiz setup

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks unfortunately neither of these lines has any effect. Before installing Compiz I had four desktops now I only have two. I have two machines one with Intel graphics and the other nvidia and both have the same problem.

Edit: The problem of the desktops has been resolved as I posted on the mate forum as well.

You need to change num of workspaces in marco (workspace applet) to 1 before switching to compiz. Then, in CCSM > General Options > "Desktop Size" tab, make sure you have Horizontal Virtual Size = 4, Vertical Virtual Size = 1, and Number of desktops = 1.
That's how you get 4 workspaces horizontally, exactly like in MATE, but in Compiz.

In fact I only had to alter the setting in CCSM.

Return to “LMDE Archive”