How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SingularityUtopia

How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Post by SingularityUtopia »

I want to change the colors for the Baldr theme, and perhaps change some other aspects. How do I do this?

How can I create my own theme? :idea:

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: How can I modify a theme or build my own theme?

Post by homerscousin »

I'd like to be able to do the same thing. I posted a bit in a thread or 2 just a bit lower on this page. I'm running Mint 13 KDE but I suspect what I have learned pertains to all Linux desktops. There appear to be NO current up to date programs for theme creation in Linux as there are for Windows. It can be done, but (hey, other people do it) you will need to spend a lot of time understanding how it all fits together. Some of the theme stuff is written in c++ or QT. Some of the stuff is in .svgz files. I don't have all this organized in my head yet, but maybe over the next month or 2 it will start making sense. I hope you are serious about theme creation and some day write a great tutorial for the rest of us.
SingularityUtopia

Post by SingularityUtopia »

So Linux Mint is open source yes? If so where can I find the source code for the baldr theme so I can edit it to have the colors I want?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Baldr is a theme by bimsebasse. You can download it from the Cinnamon Spices website: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/38. That is for Cinnamon 1.6, but you can from that page also download the old 1.4 theme (it is of course also installed on your computer). Themes are human readable text files and images, there is no separate source code.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”