Graphics Card?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
iFangy

Graphics Card?

Post by iFangy »

Alright, so my graphics card is a little outdated and it seems to be causing problems with not only every linux distro, but with Windows too.

Obviously, I want to buy a new card. However, I've heard that linux often has problems with some cards. Can anyone give a newbie a recommendation on what card to get? Budget isn't a problem, but keep in mind that I won't be doing anything ridiculous with this computer. Probably no gaming.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigj231

Re: Graphics Card?

Post by bigj231 »

I'd pick up a used card if you don't want to spend too much. You can usually get a relatively cheap card from ebay. If you do buy any computer part there, make sure they take returns in case it's DOA. Also make sure to run some benchmark software on it to make sure there's no problems before the return period is up. I didn't tell you to do that.

I prefer AMD/ATI cards, others prefer nVidia. You should be able to get a brand new card for under $50, but it all depends on the socket and what card you want.

If you just have a PCIe and want something cheap, look at the Radeon HD 4650 or 4670. They're a couple of generations old, so they should be pretty cheap. They don't require external power, and they are enough for light/moderate gaming. I also had good luck with a PNY 9800GT low power card. If you want a room heater for your computer, and a relatively quick and cheap graphics card, I've got a 4870 that I'm trying to get rid of. PM me if you're interested.
homerscousin

Re: Graphics Card?

Post by homerscousin »

Please post your current hardware. It makes it so much easier to give you a thoughtful answer rather than guessing.

If budget is not a concern and this fits your scenario, maybe consider Ivy Bridge with the onchip graphics. Intel seems to be doing a better job with Linux graphics support than either AMD or Nvidia.

Intel HD 4000 works great for me.

Return to “Open Chat”