64 Bit Mother Board... 32 Bit OS...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Knuckl3head

64 Bit Mother Board... 32 Bit OS...

Post by Knuckl3head »

Hello,

Have you ever used a 32 bit OS (Of any kind) and never knew that your motherboard was completely 64 bit? I figured out my motherboard was 64 bit the other day. I was surprised that I wasn't taking full advantage of it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: 64 Bit Mother Board... 32 Bit OS...

Post by AlbertP »

32- or 64-bit is a CPU feature, instead of motherboard. And you're fine using 32-bit Mint, if you don't have 4GB RAM or more.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

I've never done this -- I'm very aware of the issue, and in fact I wrote a piece for Linux Magazine on 64-bit computing back in 2004. I have, though, seen posts from people who haven't realized they have 64-bit hardware. Today, the vast majority of new desktop and laptop PCs have 64-bit x86-64 CPUs. I haven't checked, but I expect that even netbook and tablet computers generally use such CPUs, although some use more exotic designs, such as ARM.

Note that running 64-bit code on an x86-64 CPU is likely to produce a modest speed improvement, at best. IIRC, the typical speed boost is in the range of 10-20%, although some programs don't even see that. Also, 64-bit code is a bit bigger than 32-bit code, so if you have little memory, you may be better off running a 32-bit version of your OS.

One more point: Most computers sold today use UEFI firmware, rather than the older BIOS firmware. This has an important implication with respect to running a 32- vs. a 64-bit OS, because a 64-bit UEFI PC is almost certain to use a 64-bit UEFI implementation, which in turn means that the UEFI features will only be available if you boot a 64-bit OS. If you boot a 32-bit version of Linux on a 64-bit UEFI PC, you won't be able to access the UEFI runtime services. At the moment, the biggest implication of this limitation is that you won't be able to use the efibootmgr utility, which Linux uses to adjust boot loader settings. This isn't a huge deal right now, but you could end up losing out on more features in the future if you run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit UEFI PC. (Note that some early Intel-based Macs used 64-bit CPUs with 32-bit EFI implementations, so they're an important exception to this rule.)
Knuckl3head

Post by Knuckl3head »

Wait, UEFI? I have a BIOS... 2010 Laptop.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Should be fine. It's only very recently that many laptop manufacturers started to use UEFI.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Open Chat”