How assign keyboard shortcuts in KDE 13?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anuragsatish

How assign keyboard shortcuts in KDE 13?

Post by anuragsatish »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me on how to assign keyboard shorcuts like press Alt+Ctrl+t to launch konsole, how to switch to next desktop like the options we've in ubuntu.

Creating program shorcuts?

:?:

--Anurag
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cerule

Re: How assign keyboard shortcuts in KDE 13?

Post by Cerule »

For konsole : right click kickoff launcher's icon - edit programs or such - system - konsole - advaned - current shortcutkey

To change next desktop: system settings: shortcuts and gestures - global keyboard shortcuts - choose KWin - find the thing, next desktop or something

The system settings: shortcuts and gestures is the place most of the shortcut stuff is. KWin component handles most of the desktop stuff. Use 'custom shortcuts' section to create new shortcuts if there isn't an action you want to set up.
anuragsatish

Post by anuragsatish »

I dont get it how to do? Could you give me some example?
Thumpdog

Post by Thumpdog »

To assign a keyboard shortcut to launch a program, you have to go into the menu.

Right-click on the menu launcher in the lower left-hand corner. You should see "Edit Applications" in the context menu that comes up. So choose that.

You'll see a window that is titled "KDE Menu Editor". In the left panel, you'll see a tree view of your applications; it looks more like the Classic menu than the Application Launcher. Konsole is under "System". So find Konsole there, and left-click on it.

Now, over on the right side, you'll see a panel with two tabs, "General" and "Advanced". Click on "Advanced", and then at the bottom you'll see "Current shortcut key" and a button that probably says "none". Click on it, and "none" will change to "input". Then just hit [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[T] on your keyboard (that's the keystroke combination you wanted, right?). Close the Menu Editor and you'll be prompted to save your changes. Save them, and you're all set. The shortcut will start working right away, you don't have to log out or restart or anything.

Shortcuts for things that aren't applications are mostly in System Settings under "Shortcuts and Gestures". But I don't know very much about them, so I probably shouldn't try to explain. I hope that helps with the application launchers, though. :)

Eddie

Return to “Software & Applications”