backup Ten terabytes of data???

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
argon99

backup Ten terabytes of data???

Post by argon99 »

have a home theater with ten terabytes of storage.. I resently lost a 1.5 tarabyte drive. And ofcourse it was not backed p. I would like to back up by system but it's rather large. What you you all recommend I use to back it up? I don't have the funds to duplictae the drives so it has to be sometthing cheaper. I have movies and music that can NOT be replaced. Recordings directly from the board from live concerts and movies that are difficult to get. What would you all recommend. 10 terabytes is a lot of data.

Joseph
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: backup Ten terabytes of data???

Post by DataMan »

Joseph you stated that you do not have the funds for an additional h/d storage. That really leaves you with only 2 options:
a. Store the flles on-line - (this will probably cost you as much or more than the cost of new backup h/d's).
b. If your files are less than the capacity of dvd (or blue ray if you have a burner), then you could backup the files to this media (again will cost you money).

Without delving into the details you are realistically faced with only one viable option - buy the backup h/d/s (my opinion).

-DataMan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I have movies and music that can NOT be replaced.
so - if that is so - then you will have to find the $$$ - to buy some external HDDs.

- you have no choice . . . .

I recently had to repair a win7 desktop, it took several hours to 'backup those movies & music & stuff'
- about 1Tb & some more hours - to get win7 working again && several hours to copy movies & music & stuff - back again.

ie:- about TWO DAYS :o

-> you Really Won't Want - to Have to do That :!:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

As you say, getting more hard drives is going to cost you a fair amount. This also doesn't solve the problem of losing the drives, theft or something like damage in a fire.

As Dataman said, online storage will still cost a fair bit for that amount.

However, I did read about a service called Backblaze, they have optimized mass file storage to make it mega cheap for them to offer. They offer unlimited storage for a monthly fee. Of course, a lot of people offer unlimited things online when in fact they're not. But from what I've read this service is pretty genuine. Their business model works on the fact that most people will use a small amount of storage and some people will use a lot, overall it equals out as them staying profitable.

At 10 terabytes, you'll be getting your monies worth, in fact you'll probably be one of the ones they make a slight loss on. Take a look at the pricing, this is for unlimited storage.

$3.96 a month for 2 years ($95 total)
$4.17 a month for 1 year ($50 total)
$5 auto-bill each month
http://www.backblaze.com/

They have less features than other services like dropbox, but this is a good thing, it means you get a better price because you're not paying for stuff you don't need.

Upload everything you have (be warned it's going to take ages, Im hoping you're not on dial-up :lol: ). They will encrypt it, compress it and store it. Then just forget about it, unless something happens to your drive.

I wanted to test out the service, but I don't even have enough data to upload lol.

If you do decide to ty it out, let us know how you get on
atari800

Post by atari800 »

I'd bite the bullet and buy HD's
3tb USB HD runs about $150 on Amazon

I have 9 tb of music, music videos and movies on 3 drives.
If you put S.M.A.R.T monitoring on you can get heads up that a drive is getting old or starting to malfunction.
If one of my drives signaled a problem, most likely it will be still usable but I have heads up it is not healthy. I'd get a replacement drive and do a massive copy from the ols/sick drive to a new drive which would take about 4.5 hours to transfer

Online cloud storage would take forever to upload 10 tb ...depending on your internet speed
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Online cloud storage would take forever to upload 10 tb ...depending on your internet speed
while speed is a big issue for some - like those who are unable to get DSL, for example

ownership of your data is another, rather big issue.
- where is it stored - offshore & on whose sever? - not a big issue if you live in the US
BUT a Very Big Issue - if you don't. :!:

- given that a load of legitimate users, who had their stuff on MegaUpload - whose severs were in the US,
- still can't get their legitimate data/stuff back & now that the tax year has come & gone - that's when they Really Needed it . . .

so - where that server is located - only Now - is becoming a major issue.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Just a thought here. Many years ago I had a tape drive for backup. I know nothing about current technology and pricing. They were big capacity though. Maybe they are cost effective, I don't know.

You could wait a couple years for multi-layer dvd to arrive. I mean dozens of layers. There are companies working on prototypes now that will record around a TB per disk.

Return to “Other topics”