Language Does Not Exist

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
motsteve

Language Does Not Exist

Post by motsteve »

I've searched this subject and they all match mine, but there is not one single reply to any of them. The message at boot: Language en_US does not exist: Using system default. Really, someone has to know how to correct this one. Mine occurs just after I sign in and the boot up is ready to finish. I'm running Mint 13 with Mate. Come to think of it, it may not have happened until I did my first update, but I'm going from memory here and I've been know to have senior moments. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Language Does Not Exist

Post by xenopeek »

What have you configured in your /etc/default/locale file?
HAMOS

Post by HAMOS »

I am having the same issue, in the file is LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
HAMOS

Post by HAMOS »

I wanted to post the fix to this after digging.

Step #1: Changing your locale file so that it includes both these lines. Edit your /etc/default/locale file as root (gksudo pluma /etc/default/locale). This is for English USA language.

Code: Select all

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LANGUAGE="en_US.UTF-8"
Then restart your computer.

Step #2: Changing the default language at the login screen. If your have automatic login, let the computer finish loading. Then log out (DO NOT switch user) and choose Language then English USA and make default. A message will pop up asking what you would like to do. Choose the selection that makes this change perminate (NOT the "Just for this session").

Login to your account.

Step #3 Open terminal and type in:

Code: Select all

sudo locale-gen --purge --no-archive
Reboot and problem solved.
Last edited by HAMOS on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Setting LANGUAGE= should not be needed, but yes you do need to set your default language at the login screen correctly. Seems to be a MATE specific issue. Thanks for sharing in detail HAMOS!

Return to “Other topics”