ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mintyminty

ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Post by Mintyminty »

Hi all, this is my first post here, new to mint not to linux, like it so far but still have to get used to it a bit.

I would like to be able to restart xfce with ctrl-alt-backspace, where or how do I set this behaviour?

TIA!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Mintyminty.

Though this step by step instruction is for genuine Ubuntu, the steps might apply to Linux Mint xfce as well: Ubuntu 12.04 - How to Enable Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

On the Cinnamon desktop the way to the relevant setting actually is this:
Menu => System Tools => System Settings => Section "Personal" => Icon "Keyboard" => Tab "Layout" => Options ... => Item "setting to force shutdown the X-Server" => [X] crl + alt + backspace

Will verify whether this is the exact way on Xfce as well and post back. (Provided no-one else is faster.)
<Added 1 hour later>
No, things are different on the Xfce desktop:
Go to Menu => Settings => Session and Startup (xfce4-session-settings) => Tab Application Autostart
In the list of automatically starting applications, there should be an item titled Ctrl Alt Backspace. This item executes the commandline

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
This commandline makes sure that pressing <ctrl><alt><backsp> terminates all running graphical applications and the Xfce desktop, relaunnches the X-server and takes you back to the Xfce logon screen.

In case the item Ctrl Alt Backspace is missing, add it to the list with the help of the [Add] button.[/color]
</Added 1 hour later>

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”