Mint 13 not shutting down cleanly - "hard lockup"

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aneurysm1985

Mint 13 not shutting down cleanly - "hard lockup"

Post by aneurysm1985 »

I am 4 hours into my Linux Mint 13 experience. Am still configuring and calibrating things. I thought I'd ask about an early problem I am having.

On most occasions when I 'shut down' or restart Linux, things do not happen as expected. Instead I get a black screen with white text indicating that Linux is still trying to kill off some processes. The system never recovers from this, so I manually turn off the computer with the power switch.

Is there any way to find a log file of these errors to share with you? I have spotted some (possibly) pertinent information including:

Code: Select all

Watchdog detected HARD lockup on CPU 0
(and CPU 1, 2 and 3).

Pulseaudio is also being mentioned as a possible cause for the fault.

Let me know if this is an issue, and how I can help you diagnose the problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nadros

Re: Mint 13 not shutting down cleanly - "hard lockup"

Post by nadros »

I'm having similar issues as well. After using it for a while the system locks up when restarting or shutting down. Any suggestions regarding this problem?
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

Same here. Anybody help?
ivsoto

Post by ivsoto »

same problem here
ivsoto

Post by ivsoto »

It took me a long time but i finally figured it out. I just removed pulseaudio, shutted down the system (the hard way, again), then i turned it back on, reinstalled it and i could finally get a clean shut down.
I used sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio to uninstall and sudo apt-get install pulseaudio to fix it.
Hope it also work for you guys...Worth the try.

Return to “Other topics”