data transfer is really slow

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
registereduser

[SOLVED] File transfer starts fast, then slows to a crawl

Post by registereduser »

I contact Western Digital about this, they seem to not think it is their device's problem
i've gone through 3 returns due to each device seeming to behave this way, and I'm tired of returning them.

If I transfer a large file, 8GB+ in size, it starts out transfering fast, but as time goes on the speed decreases
then decreases some more, then even more. RIght now I have two transfer jobs

one is 4.3GB
one is 8.1GB

both of them started out fast (By fast I mean USB 2.0 fast, which isn't all that fast to start with ;P 23MB/s about)
now the speed is 112.7 kB/sec and 125.8 kB/sec, 4 hours left for the first transfer, 11 for the second...

this is for a 500Gb western digital passport drive going through USB 2.0

I can't wait this long, how can I determine why it becomes so slow?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: File transfer starts fast, then slows to a crawl

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
registereduser

Post by registereduser »

Thanks for the reply, are you sure it's the same bug? That's from a couple years ago. Some said to upgrade to kernel 3.2 to fix, but uname -r shows that
mint is already 3.2.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Have you read the recent comments?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
registereduser

Post by registereduser »

remoulder wrote:Have you read the recent comments?
yeah, and I'm actually wondering if this could be because the source drive is Ext4 and the destination is NTFS.

If I copy from Ext4 drive to it's own self then it runs fast, but copying to the NTFS is sluggish (The NTFS is a SATA drive, the Ext4 is USB 2.0)

I wouldn't think drive format would have such an impact though, is NTFS really this slow? I never noticed on Windows.

=====
Edit
=====
I've managed to splice my large file into 726 small files, then transferred them as 3 jobs of 242 files
from the Ext4 to the NTFS. I'm not sure why, but having 3 threads of the same file spliced up made it go
much faster.

so, then I tried doing a transfer of the NTFS drive files to the NTFS drive it's self, it was incredibly slow:
Conclusion (for me) is that it is an NTFS filesystem problem, but not for long as I plan to move to Mint 100%
registereduser

data transfer is really slow

Post by registereduser »

on mint, I started transfer of the mint-cinnamon ISO to a USB drive and it said 1hour remaining, it was going 20 MB/s then down, 19,18,17... until hitting 3 MB/s and lower...
so I reboot into the dual boot of Windows 7, re-started the transfer to the USB device, speed started at 2MB/s and climbed upwards 3,4,5,6,7 and kept climbing in speed. The transfer was done in about a minute.

what's the dealio?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: data transfer is really slow

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads merged - same OP,same problem
registereduser

Post by registereduser »

This is actually a different problem, the first problem was on a USB 3.0 device connected to a USB 2.0 port, this time it is a USB 2.0 device connected to a USB 2.0 port, and the issue seems to go away when in windows.

the bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/500069 was reported in 2009, by now that bug would be fixed. It's 2012.
so it must be a new bug, wouldn't you think? :S
HBW

Post by HBW »

I don't know if this will be of much use to any one but through trial and error I started multiple transfers and noted that one or 2 of the transfers will slowly increase in speed. closing the others and then repeat the process untill you have sucessfully transfered your larger files.
unfortunate I am only new to linux so I can't give you any technical answer.

Return to “Hardware Support”