HELP ... Daughter's Windows 7 laptop ... no internet

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
cardineau

HELP ... Daughter's Windows 7 laptop ... no internet

Post by cardineau »

I'm a dedicated Mint 12 and 13 user. My daughter has brought to me her laptop which has a problem connecting to the internet. I've tried everything I know and still no connection. I have good connection between laptop and router. Both local connection and wireless. My Linux desktop is on the same router with no problems. I have checked the details of the connection ... Ipv4 connectivity = no internet access ... Ipv6 connectivity = no internet access ... media state = enabled. Activity shows packets sent and received = normal. ???? If anyone knows windows 7 and can help. It would be highly appreciated. Thanks
ken moreau (cardineau)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: HELP ... Daughter's Windows 7 laptop ... no internet

Post by viking777 »

"Find and fix network connection problems" is in the Win 7 menu (just search for 'network'). Have you looked at that for answers?
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

Yes ...I have exhausted all of the normal self diagnostics. We have been online with this computer before ... so I think that something is miss-set somewheres but I don't know where. Thanks for the contribution
cardineau
cardineau

Post by cardineau »

OK! ... I have found the problem. you must have file and printer sharing enabled for internet access. Thanks and thank goodness for linux mint

cardineau
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Since when did you have to have file and printer sharing for internet access? I ran my old W7 laptop with that turned off for quite a while and was able to connect to the internet. I would REALLY recommend malwarebytes anti malware and a virus scan ASAP

EDIT crap, just looked at the date. Sorry for the necro-post

Return to “Open Chat”