Thanks For The Ride

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
everready

Thanks For The Ride

Post by everready »

This pretty much sums it up for me and others like me, I'm new at this and won't be able to navigate my way through these tutorials to "eliminate extra baggage" in order to install the new Mint 13 Maya without the mint4win, you see i have a 32 bit system and "only those with a 64 bit" will qualify..

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918

Scroll down to LeeC
On the positive side, if you are good with apptitude and know what packages are non-essential to get a working instance of Mint installed, then you can use these instructions to build a Mint boot CD. Removing removing packages such as Java, Mono, LibreOffice, and Gimp left my .iso file still larger than 800 MB, so the "etc" that needs to be removed needs to be defined. But I may have botched the apptitude update, since there were many components still flagged as "suggested" after I marked the parent with "-" to remove.

So, what is documented here is well written and correct, but requires expertise that will likely be beyond many, especially those new to Linux.
Thanks for the ride it was great..
everready
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Thanks For The Ride

Post by karlchen »

Hello, everready.
This pretty much sums it up for me and others like me, I'm new at this and won't be able to navigate my way through these tutorials to "eliminate extra baggage" in order to install the new Mint 13 Maya without the mint4win, you see i have a 32 bit system and "only those with a 64 bit" will qualify..
You posted this in the Mint4win sub-forum. Nevertheless you tell us you want to install Min13 without Mint4win. This idea is perfectly all right. But why then did you post in the Mint4win sub-forum?
More generally: I do understand that your complaint is something to the effect: "The tutorials are too technical for normal users."
I guess this may be true for a lot of tutorials indeed.
Yet, I fail to understand whether your post was only meant to express your frustration caused by too technical tutorials or whether there is a current problem which you would like to solve. If there is can you please explain what it is.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
everready

Post by everready »

Thanks for the reply Karl. its this way.. important info:

Boot hangs on systems with b43 wireless cards
(64-bit only for Mint4win)
Windows popping behind the installer in MATE edition
Desktop icons in Cinnamon

Its for 64 bit only, i don't have the skill to carry out the instructions in these tutorials, i suppose its the reason so many of us decide to buy Windows where you just push a button. Nothing against the Linux community they deserve a standing ovation for the hard work the time they've spent putting together an operating system that doesn't have an equal, some of us were blessed with a mind that comprehend some of us weren't..

Thanks..
everready
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, everready.

Issue #1:
Boot hangs on systems with b43 wireless cards
Yes. This is correct. It is not really the Mint makers' fault, because the underlying Ubuntu 12.04 had the same issue.
If your machine has not got one of the affected Broadcom b43 wireless cards, you may safely ignore this warning and skip this section.
If your machine has got one of the affected Broadcom b43 wireless cards, then you will have to prevent the Linux kernel from trying to activate the Broadcom wireless card until you have had a chance of installing the proprietary driver provided by Broadcom.
This is achieved by doing this at boot time:
Make sure the boot menu is displayed (when booting the live medium as well as when booting the fresh installation on the harddisk). Inside the boot menu press E like Edit. Then use the cursor keys to select the commandline that loads the kernel vmlinuz and at the end of the line add the string b43.blacklist=yes. Then press the <F10> key to go on and boot.
You will have to connect this machine to your network using a network cable. You will have to go on using a wired network connection on this machine till you have added the proprietary Broadcom driver. The option to do so will be offered to you at the end of the normal Linux Mint 13 installation.
(I had the same issue on Lucid Lynx. Actually carrying out the required steps is much less tricky than reading them. :wink: )

Issue #2:
(64-bit only for Mint4win)
Mint 13 is available as a 32-bit edition and as a 64-bit edition. Installing Mint 13 with the help of Mint4win will only work for the 64-bit edition (out of the box).
Unless you plan to install Mint 13 32-bit through Mint4win, you may safely ignore this warning and skip this section. If you have no wish of using Mint4win in any case, you may safely ignore this warning and skip this section.
If you absolutely have to perform a Mint4win installation of Mint 13 32-bit, you may find a (pretty technical) step by step instruction here.

Issue #3:
Windows popping behind the installer in MATE edition
This issue may have been fixed or not by one of the numerous automatic updates which have been released since the original Mint 13 Mate desktop was released at the end of May.
Actually I do not know, because I have never tried anything but the Cinnamon desktop (not affected) and the xfce desktop (not affected).
Unless you insist on using the Mate desktop, you may safely ignore this issue.

Issue #4:
Desktop icons not localized in Cinnamon and Gnome desktop
Hm. Correct.
Is this really such a big hassle? I hardly notice: "Computer" is "Computer" in English and German. "Home" is "Heimatordner" (ok, I'll call it "home").
By the way I do not understand the instruction in the release notes on how to localize the strings, either: not enough technical details on where the changes have to be applied. :wink:

i don't have the skill to carry out the instructions in these tutorials
That's all right. Else you would probably be one of the guys writing these instructions. :wink:
Seriously: As the sentences in green below each issue try to make clear, do not bother about solving issues unless they really affect you.

Windows where you just push a button
I tend to consider this an ingenious marketing myth. New Windows releases all bring along new issues as well. This has been true for any new Windows version since v1.0 and is still true for Windows 7. And Windows 8 will bring along some new challenges for its users as well.
Developers are human beings and therefore software will never be error free.
Linux forums are full of problem reports affecting Linux. Windows forums are full of problem reports affecting Windows.
Any operating system which you are used to will appear to be more friendly and to exhibit less rough edges than any operating system which you have not yet got used to.
The reason why more people tend to consider Linux more difficult and less friendly than Windows is that because Windows rules the PC market, home and office, most people will have some Windows experience when they meet Linux for the first time. And they silently expect Linux to do all the things the same way as Windows does them, only better and for free.
The truth is, however, Linux is neither better, nor worse than Windows, but is is definitely not the same. As a consequence, you are either prepared to spend the time to acquire the Linux knowledge that you need, like you spent the time to acquire the Windows survival knowledge, or you are not.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
everready

Post by everready »

Thanks for the reply Karl, maybe I'm not talking the right lingo here. As i said before there are those of us that can follow instructions and some of us that can't, these are fine instructions for an individual that has the ability to follow them.. i like many others can't, it might as well be a schematic of the Brooklyn Bridge.. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=113593
Your a smart man Karl you've been blessed with a wonderful mind, you and the rest of the developers, don't think for a second that we don't appreciate what you do, its just one of those things i guess..

Thanks for listening.. :)
everready
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, everready.

Just a minor correction: I am not a developer, only a Linux Mint and forum user. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Lifeline
everready

Post by everready »

karlchen wrote:Hi, everready.

Just a minor correction: I am not a developer, only a Linux Mint and forum user. :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
Oops' i didn't know that, well Karl maybe you should be "you have the fix".. :wink:
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

As far as I can tell Mint4win (aka Ubuntu wubi) is VM-like in that it runs the OS from an encapsulated file on the host system
--that of necessity causes compromises

If I was intending to use Linux + windows I would either dual boot or actually use the guest OS inside a VM, such as virtualbox
  • I need a dual boot or a separate computer for some windows applications, but mainly for windows games, because of directX used by windows
    --neither wine, not most of the commercial wine providers, such as crossover offer complete enough emulation to be entirely successful in hostingh a windows OS, despite their valiant efforts without much in the way of Ms info in regard to their OS versions..
everready

Post by everready »

Maybe by the end of this month an easy fix will come along for us 32 bit folks, so we can try Mint 13.. :mrgreen:

Thanks..
everready
everready

Post by everready »

This new interface is very nice great job to the developers. Your not going to believe this one it came as a welcome surprise to me. When this computer was built the technician said he built in some extras and this was one of them i guess. Read this thread down to the 9th post and feed that command into your terminal..

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1256747

all these years I've been running a dual core 64 bit processor, question is, are you? If you are chances are you'll be able to download Linux Mint 13 Maya.. I used this application because at one time my CD ROM was busted and i didn't have a way to go, but this allowed my to install Mint along with the "788" MB load. *edit* not 800 MB

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

Understand this just happened and everything has been updated and its running free and clear, no bumps in the roadat this point I'll try and keep you posted tomorrow with an update. I want to thank everyone for your tips and much needed advice and a thanks to DuckDuckGo my search engine.. :mrgreen:

everready
Last edited by everready on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everready

Post by everready »

Whoa!! Hold the phone something is wrong, i tried the sotware manager and she isn't working, may have to reinstall unless i can figure out what step is missing... :oops:

Sorry guys, it was looking so good there..
everready
everready

Post by everready »

Oof Dah! double clicking on a choice in order for it to open, looks like I'll be needing new navigational charts with this model.. that's O.k. so far its been easy peasy.. :)

everready
everready

Post by everready »

Maybe a moderator could move these last three posts to a forum where members that are having a tough time would see it just to make things a little bit easier for them? :mrgreen:

Thank you..
everready

Return to “Installation & Boot”