Cinnamon gone!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anders_J

Cinnamon gone!

Post by Anders_J »

I'm running Maya/Cinnamon 32 bit on a Asus U36, 6GB RAM, Intel i5 and nvidia graphics.

Tried to connect a high res 27" monitor (Samsung 2560 x 1440) via hdmi port. Tried "detect monitors", but it wouldn't recognize anything more than 1920 x 1200. Tried to install nvidia-settings and nvidia driver via synaptic, but only got messages I fail to understand, so I choose to go back in my trace and remove this again.

However, since this failure, I only have the "gnome-classic" desktop. I have logged in and out from gnome and cinnamon using ctrl-alt-backspace, but no matter what I do there is only the gnome classic. The cinnamon settings are available and possible to change, but I haven't figured out how to get back to the cinnamon I had.

There must be more clever methods than doing a complete re-install and there must be ways to handle a high density 27" screen?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon gone!

Post by xenopeek »

Please don't cross post the same question to multiple sections of the forums. I've removed your other post on this question from the Cinnamon section of the forums.

Can you please run the following command and share its output here? (You can copy text from the terminal, see its Edit menu.)

Code: Select all

inxi -SGx
Anders_J

Post by Anders_J »

My apologies. To me this is now two problems, one concerning Cinnamon and one nVidia.

But here is the text:

anders@anders-U36SG ~ $ inxi -SGx
System:    Host: anders-U36SG Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA Device 105a bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.4hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
I did a cold boot of the computer prior to running this, and I did choose "Cinnamon" in the boot dialogue befor entering login/pwd.
Anders_J

Post by Anders_J »

Did the same with the extrenal display connected:

System:    Host: anders-U36SG Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Anders_J

Post by Anders_J »

Thanks!

I followed the prodedures as they were defined in the ubuntu bumblebee post and this, to my astonishment, gave me Cinnamon back.

I have difficulties to understand why, though, how a different graphics driver could affect my desktop? But never mind, I have the Cinnamon I prefer back and that is good.

BUT

I will not mark the thread as solved since the issue for me that started all this, the fact that I would like to connect my computer to a high density 27" screen still remains unsolved:

X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”