Can't Get Network Proxy To Work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Can't Get Network Proxy To Work

Postby TheAndyBob on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:42 pm

Hello,
So I'm trying to connect to a proxy server on Linux Mint Debian. Off the bat, I can type in the proxy information in Firefox and it works fine, I google "what's my ip", and it shows the correct IP for my proxy server. However, when I try to type it into Mint's Network Proxy setting, it does not show me correct proxy ip when I look it up in google. The command I'm typing in terminal to setup the proxy is:
Code: Select all
ssh -D 8080 -Nf andrew@XX.XXX.XX.XX

Where the X's represent the IP address I'm trying to connect to.
In firefox, I tell it to use a SOCKS proxy with the server being local host and port 8080. And that seems to work within firefox just fine. But when I type the same information within the system settings for proxy information, it doesn't seem to use the proxy server...
Is there something I'm missing here? How can I get the system to use the proxy settings system wide? Thanks for the help.
TheAndyBob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Get Network Proxy To Work

Postby remoulder on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:44 am

What version of mint, what desktop?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby TheAndyBob on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 am

Debian, with I believe cinnamon.
TheAndyBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trueknight on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:03 am

I have just the same issue. Proxy configuration in firefox and in skype works perfect but not in system configuration.
Version of my mint is 13, desktop is maya.
trueknight
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Garvan on Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:30 am

I cannot answer the question completely, but I think I can provide extra information which may help. I do not run the Debian version of mint.

I can set up a proxy in Firefox by editing the Manual proxy Configuration settings. These work only in Firefox.

To use a proxy from a terminal I need to use this style command.
Code: Select all
export http_proxy='http://81.27.79.181:8080/'

I sometimes use this to pretend I am in the UK so I can download BBC TV shows using get-iplayer. This also supports the user-name and password syntax you are using.

This will show your IP address in the terminal. It is important to note that the terminal ignores the network manager settings.
ip addr show

Finally I have set up proxies using the GUI interface Network Settings in Cinnamon. I do not know if you have this utility in your version of mint.

Garvan
Desktop: Dell, Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 2GiB RAM, Lubuntu 14.04 (trusty)
Notebook: HP 14 Notebook PC 14-r003TX, i5-4210U @ 1.7 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17
Notebook: DELL latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions