Compiling razor-qt in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
squeezy

Re: Compiling razor-qt in LMDE

Post by squeezy »

Monsta wrote:
squeezy wrote:One of you guys wouldn't want to make your compiled .deb available, would you? :twisted:
:D I can upload those 12M of files to some file hosting service if you need them.
Thanks for the offer, Monsta. I'll let you know if it comes to that :lol:
Well, since I've had a little free time, I've installed minimal Wheezy in my Virtualbox (got netinst image from this page) and built Razor-qt in it.
Well, this sounds pretty much like what I wanted to do so I'm going to give it a try. BTW, could you get lightdm-qt-greeter from snapshots.debian.org and install it manually before installing lightdm? I checked and it's available there. I think I'll try that out.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I can't add much to this discussion as I have not compiled it. However, FWIW, I did yesterday download an iso of Siduction (Sid) Razor-QT with Openbox window manager - ran it through usb stick on an old laptop with only 1Gb ram and "Holy Screaming Distros Batman!!!!" - I've never seen anything so fast in 20 years of Linux/Unix use.

It was only a development version and I have not done much in the way of memory or other performance comparisons, but, this was an impressive piece of software. All Razor apps too which was fascinating.

Anyway, my hope is that it gets some long term support - REAL computer users could do with something new other than Smartphone app icons spinning around the damn screen?!

cheers,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

squeezy wrote:BTW, could you get lightdm-qt-greeter from snapshots.debian.org and install it manually before installing lightdm? I checked and it's available there. I think I'll try that out.
I barely found it there. :shock: Greeters have been moved to separate source packages starting from version, I think, 1.2.0. So you'll have to grab this, for example: http://snapshot.debian.org/package/lightdm/1.0.11-1/

I don't really like the idea of installing lightdm-qt-greeter 1.0.11 along with the current lightdm (1.2.2).
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

rhodry wrote:........I did yesterday download an iso of Siduction (Sid) Razor-QT with Openbox window manager.........
cheers,
rhodry.
Hi rhodry.

Downloading it now..... :D
ftp://ftp.lug.udel.edu/pub/siduction/iso/razor-qt/

Not clear if this is RazorQT 0.5 or older (0.4). (Must be older, as its dated 5/28/12) :?:
http://www.linux-support.com/cms/siduct ... -released/
Most of the big distributions have packages for Razor-qt ready for their users. As Debian is not on the list yet, we at siduction put out a developenment release in the summer, based on Razor-qt 0.4. We will add Razor-qt to our regular release schedule and hopefully see a release at the end of October or early in November. Some other distros also have Live-CDs based on 0.4 for evaluation.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Monsta wrote:I don't really like the idea of installing lightdm-qt-greeter 1.0.11 along with the current lightdm (1.2.2).
I discovered it's not possible to install lightdm-qt-greeter in Wheezy, missing a key library. I chased dependencies around all afternoon trying to get it to work :lol:

Well, as I was replying to posts earlier this morning, zerozero was busy uploading his razor .debs and kindly provided a link, even before I had finished posting. What a guy!

I installed a minimal Wheezy setup, then pretty much followed Monsta's post for installing...except I was going from memory and I installed the razor .debs first. Whoa, the list of dependency/configuration errors scrolled off my screen three times! I thought my computer was going to go up in flames ;)

A quick apt-get install -f resolved everything though, pulled in about 120+ more packages and let all the razor .debs configure properly. I then added lightdm and lxappearance and a few other things like menu, menu-xdg and xdg-user-dirs. Didn't need to add openbox as that was one of the packages pulled in during dep resolution. Cool!

Left it for there right now. It's running nicely, with minimal GTK libraries involved. Most of those are just for lightdm. Now for the fun part of getting qt apps to keep it as true as possible. I need a file manager and terminal, although ctrl-alt-F1 as a terminal works just fine for now. And a package manager. I'll install Synaptic if I have to unless I can find a qt alternative. Off to browse the qt apps available.

This is fun!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

squeezy wrote:I discovered it's not possible to install lightdm-qt-greeter in Wheezy, missing a key library. I chased dependencies around all afternoon trying to get it to work :lol:
Surprise surprise :)
squeezy wrote:I installed a minimal Wheezy setup, then pretty much followed Monsta's post for installing...except I was going from memory and I installed the razor .debs first. Whoa, the list of dependency/configuration errors scrolled off my screen three times! I thought my computer was going to go up in flames ;)

A quick apt-get install -f resolved everything though, pulled in about 120+ more packages and let all the razor .debs configure properly.
Well, that's exactly what I've got when I mindlessly installed all these debs first :D
I haven't even think about my system being a "headless" one (no any graphics stuff) this time. Fortunately, the dependencies are easily fixed. Should've been less lazy and set up a local repository (it's very easy).
squeezy wrote:It's running nicely, with minimal GTK libraries involved. Most of those are just for lightdm.
Yeah... it pulled a lot of them :)

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual package that would have "Provides: lightdm-qt-greeter" in its description. LightDM would grab it first (but you'll have to have a local repository ready before its installation!) and pay no mind to any GTK+ stuff.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Monsta wrote:Fortunately, the dependencies are easily fixed. Should've been less lazy and set up a local repository (it's very easy).

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual package that would have "Provides: lightdm-qt-greeter" in its description. LightDM would grab it first (but you'll have to have a local repository ready before its installation!) and pay no mind to any GTK+ stuff.
Those are a couple nice links, Monsta! I'm going to try that local repository for sure. I've got a bunch of .debs that I've collected to fix certain install situations. Having them in a repo would make it a lot easier to use them!
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

LightDM would grab it first (but you'll have to have a local repository ready before its installation!) and pay no mind to any GTK+ stuff.
Actually, my guess was wrong. When there's a list of "alternative package names" (as they call it here) in the Depends field, and neither of these packages is installed, APT seems to grab the first of them. Always. Unless you manually install the other first. :)

UPDATE: the following section about making a dummy package is obsolete for Testing and Unstable users since the dependencies are fixed now (as of lightdm 1.2.2-4), and you can just install lightdm-razorqt-greeter, then lightdm itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since LightDM depends on

Code: Select all

lightdm-gtk-greeter | lightdm-qt-greeter
we need to install lightdm-qt-greeter before LightDM.

Now let's make a mockup which can be used instead of a real lightdm-qt-greeter (not only it doesn't exist in Wheezy anymore, it also seems to be abandoned by its developers). I've decided to create a dummy (but real) package because it required less work than making a virtual one (I'd need some real package to provide a virtual one anyway).
  1. Create a new directory for the dummy package. Name it how you like, e.g. dummy.
  2. Create a directory named DEBIAN inside. Right, these are all caps.
  3. Create a new file named control, that is, dummy/DEBIAN/control, and fill it with the minimal package description:

Package: lightdm-qt-greeter
    Version: 1.0.0
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: well, whoever
    Depends: lightdm-razorqt-greeter
    Priority: optional
    Description: dummy package to fool LightDM :)
  4. Run dpkg -b dummy to create dummy.deb.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you can create a local repo with all razorqt packages and this dummy package. Also it may be very convenient to tell apt-get NOT to install whatever a package suggests or recommends :evil:

Now the packages are ready for installation.

apt-get install lightdm-qt-greeter
apt-get install lightdm
apt-get install razorqt
apt-get install <some window manager>
Here I'd like to explain why I remembered about telling apt-get not to be too clever. Today I've decided to install kde-window-manager instead of openbox. On a clean minimal Wheezy system, with apt-get installing whatever is suggested or recommended, I almost ended up with a nice set of GTK+ 2 and 3 libraries in addition to KDE ones :shock:

Alright, what's left is to edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and set the greeter session:

greeter-session=lightdm-razor-greeter
(damn inconsistency! why it's razor, not razorqt this time?)
Last edited by Monsta on Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

BTW, a kind person had already filed this bug: lightdm: Please depend on lightdm-greeter.

It's fixed in version 1.2.2-4. LightDM now depends on

lightdm-gtk-greeter | lightdm-greeter
and that means there's no need to create a mockup package, you can just install lightdm-razorqt-greeter (which provides a virtual package named lightdm-greeter) and then lightdm itself.

Unfortunately... this version is available only in Unstable right now, and Testing is frozen.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

Monsta wrote:Unfortunately... this version is available only in Unstable right now, and Testing is frozen.
Hmmm...I haven't played with Sid for a while :twisted:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

squeezy wrote:Hmmm...I haven't played with Sid for a while :twisted:
LightDM's dependencies seem to be the same in Wheezy and Sid. LMDE UP5 has the same version as Wheezy. It would probably be safe to cherry-pick it from Sid.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

LightDM 1.2.2-4 finally hit Testing, and maybe we'll see it in UP6, who knows 8)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

RazorQT 0.5.1 has been released!
http://www.razor-qt.org/
Razor-qt 0.5.1 is out!

This is the first maintenance release of the 0.5 series. No new features were introduced, but a number of important fixes were made.

Main changes include:

Updated license headers
Fixed memory leak in razor-desktop when theme is changed
Updated translations
Dcownload tarball from here to compile
http://www.razor-qt.org/install/

Its also in the Siduction Repos (razorqt amd64 / i386 )
(I had to uninstall 0.5.0 that I had compiled to get it to work from here!)

http://packages.siduction.org/

(Click for full size)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

it will have to wait a few days :cry:
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hey 'zz'... :)

It really works quite nicely on top of LMDE/KDE with Bespin theme, AWN and Docky, using KWIN. Its nice to have a fallback DE in case something happens to KDE (not likely, though... :lol: ).

Return to “LMDE Archive”