Startup Error Across Sessions

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
wizard135

Startup Error Across Sessions

Post by wizard135 »

Hey all, Ive been having an issue with LMDE on startup, I am asked to logoff and presented with the below error. This began when I was installing and switching between a couple of new gtk themes on Cinnamon, however this error is exactly the same even when the session is in GNOME or Classic (MATE is uninstalled). Another oddity is that I can choose to not hit "ok" to the error dialog (which would continue the logout process) and continue on with my session- albeit without the option of changing the ugly gtk theme I am now stuck on. Any ideas on whats up? Thanks!
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:withthesuniriseup being added to access control list
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/withthesuniriseup/.cache/keyring-M3frDt
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/withthesuniriseup/.cache/keyring-M3frDt/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/withthesuniriseup/.cache/keyring-M3frDt/ssh
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/home/withthesuniriseup/.cache/keyring-M3frDt/gpg:0:1
gnome-session[4530]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' killed by signal 11
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
gnome-session[4530]: WARNING: App 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' respawning too quickly
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: 'anonymous function does not always return a value'
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 179 exception 0 number 157
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 526 exception 0 number 157
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 571 exception 0 number 157
JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/expoThumbnail.js' line 731 exception 0 number 157
gnome-session[4530]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-settings-daemon.desktop' killed by signal 11

** (nautilus:4659): WARNING **: Can not get _NET_WORKAREA

** (nautilus:4659): WARNING **: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error registering polkit authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject (polkit-error-quark 0)

(cinnamon:4642): Clutter-WARNING **: Failed to set the markup of the actor 'ClutterText': Error on line 1: Entity did not end with a semicolon; most likely you used an ampersand character without intending to start an entity - escape ampersand as &

(cinnamon:4642): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'CinnamonGenericContainer' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:4642): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'StScrollView' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:4642): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'CinnamonGenericContainer' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

(cinnamon:4642): Clutter-WARNING **: Attempting to add actor of type 'StScrollView' to a container of type 'StBoxLayout', but the actor has already a parent of type 'StBoxLayout'.

JS ERROR: !!! WARNING: file '/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/window-list@cinnamon.org/applet.js' line 377 exception 0 number 157

(cinnamon:4642): St-WARNING **: percentage lengths not currently supported
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1781: GtkWarning: IA__gdk_window_thaw_toplevel_updates_libgtk_only: assertion `private->update_and_descendants_freeze_count > 0' failed
gtk.main()
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wizard135

Re: Startup Error Across Sessions

Post by wizard135 »

I think I've discovered at least part of the problem, however how to solve it is beyond me. Its a user issue. I created a new account, and everything worked fine. I suppose I could just go on now with a new profile, although if anybody still has a fix, that would be great if this comes up again.
access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
That must be the crucial bit right there, though Google doesnt look to be turning up anything applicable.
Somehow logging into my main account was operating Root
wizard135

Post by wizard135 »

Well, I created a new user account and moved my files over so that I was not reliant on waiting for a response. It has happened again however.
Somehow, as indicated by the changed GTK theme, I am operating as root, or something of the sort. No idea whats causing this, I havnt been tinkering with any settings, just a reset and logging back in.
If I am missing a log that may be helpful to post, notification of that would be appreciated.
wizard135

Post by wizard135 »

As described above, the issue is related to those that cover the transition from the mint-x package to mint-themes, a black on black terminal and a ugly default gtk theme-
Screens and solutions for others are here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 7&p=637838
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=112781
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&p=631150

The solutions do not apply in this case however. Changing the gtk theme in cinnamon's options does not actually change any visible part of the system.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -FGx
System:    Host timeline Kernel 3.2.0-3-486 i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Debian Edition
CPU:       Single core Intel Core i3-2370M (-UP-) cache 3072 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips 4789.62 clocked at 800.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.12.1.902 Res: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 3.0 Mesa 8.0.3 Direct Rendering Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1 Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver atl1c v: 1.0.1.0-NAPI at port 2000 BusID: 02:00.0
           Card-2 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 driver iwlwifi v: in-tree: BusID: 03:00.0
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (-) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK3259GS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID:/ size: 298G used: 21G (8%) fs: rootfs ID:/ size: 298G used: 21G (8%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes 125 Uptime 11 min Memory 355.7/2643.8MB Runlevel 2 Client Shell inxi 1.4.23 

Return to “LMDE Archive”