Firefox Add-ons

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox Add-ons

Post by JAK »

Not everyone will find the same FIrefox addons useful to them. For instance, the only one I use in common from your list is the Download Statusbar (if "downloadthemall" is blocked from being used). Also, I use an extension called Showcase to preview my tabs. It lines up previews in a grid fashion and you can select from there where you want to go. Nicely done and easy to use.

Coming up with a list of common programs that pleases everyone is not an easy task, but the developers of LM have done a great job of it. Even then, I don't use everything they've loaded and like everyone I'm sure, we've deleted and added some programs to suit our own tastes.

Some programs are absolutely necessary for an out-of-the-box experience, and some are just fluff :wink:
Fred

Post by Fred »

See, I am a perfect example. I don't use any of the plug-ins you mentioned.

Also, every plug-in you have slows down Firefox. It is already slow enough. You certainly wouldn't want to have it default with a bunch of plug-ins you didn't want/use.

Fred
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Well, here is my list, not sure if it is of interest. :D
Add-ons.png
Fred

Post by Fred »

atlef,

Wow, You must have a much faster computer than I have. Have you tried Grease Monkey? There are some really nice scripts floating around for it.

I do use the Adblock plus extension. I find it is worth the small speed cost. In fact sometimes I think it actually makes it a bit faster, but that could be just my imagination. :-)

Fred
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

My life would crash and burn if I did not have these extenions. :lol:

I tried FF 3 but threw it out faster then you can say blueberry pie. To few of them worked, and could not find replacement's.

atlef.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

Fred wrote:See, I am a perfect example. I don't use any of the plug-ins you mentioned.

Also, every plug-in you have slows down Firefox. It is already slow enough. You certainly wouldn't want to have it default with a bunch of plug-ins you didn't want/use.

Fred
I agree. I try to keep my Firefox plug-in count to a minimum. Firefox has become bloated and slow enough over the years. Sad to say, IE is whole lot faster, but I don't use it.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

atlef wrote:Well, here is my list, not sure if it is of interest. :D
<attachment removed to save space, see above>

That's quite a list of plug-ins, and I don't use any of them. I think we just proved that pre-loaded Firefox plug-ins would not be necessary.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The Better YouTube plugin might be a good one to include.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

I have grown to a costumed to these after using first firebird 0.3 or 0.4 and upwards have waded through extensions, searching for the right combo. Now that I am this close to nirvana, nothing will change my mind about which are necessary or not. If you use firefox extensively, you might have similar setups.

I also share these files across OS.
Screenshot-ffbkup - File Browser.png
atlef.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

...just to make a case...
Everybody has different needs, here are mine:
ff-addons.png
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea