Help getting into grub boot menu

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Help getting into grub boot menu

Post by tlcmd »

Is there something different about LMDE I'm missing? I'm a real noobie to LMDE and never had this problem with other Linux distros.
I have an LMDE fresh install, currently updated and completed this AM, to which I've only added clamAV and changed it so I login automatically. I have a dual boot with Windows XP and LMDE. Obviously I've screwed up somewhere. I've posted this question on the main Linux Mint Forum and tried the suggestions given. I did try installing Grub Customizer, but it failed to install.

I wish to
1) Delete duplicate entries in the initial Grub page
2) Reverse the order in which Windows XP and LMDE boot.

I've tried the commands below in the "terminal window" with and without "sudo " and have not been able to enter the grub boot menu configuration page. And yes, I did login with my password and hit "enter."

/boot/grub/mernu.lst
/boot/grub/grub.cfg
gedit /boot/grub/mernu.lst
gedit /boot/boot/grub.cfg

My apologies for my being unable to find or apply the proper solution to this problem. Assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dick (aka tlcmd)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mack_mcash

Re: Help getting into grub boot menu

Post by mack_mcash »

Mint uses Grub 2 so there is no /boot/grub/menu.lst.
It's been replaced by /boot/grub/grub.cfg but it isn't normally edited directly as certain updates will overwrite it.

Make your edits in /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/
when done editing /etc/default/grub, run "sudo update-grub"

hope this helps

mack
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Mack,
Thanks for the response. But when I entered /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the terminal window,
I received bash: /boot/grub/grub.cfg: permission denied.
Where did I screw up?? I also tried it with sudo /boot/grub/grub.cfg with the following "command not found."
Obviously, I'm doing something very wrong.

Thanks,
Dick (aka tlcmd)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file is a configuration file. So you can't run it as you are trying to do. You would open it with an editor, as the superuser. For example on Cinnamon you would do that with "gksudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg". I don't recommend editing this file by hand, as it is generated automatically.

A better way for you would probably be to use Grub Customizer. A graphical application you can use to configure your GRUB menu. On LMDE it is a bit of work to install, but I think this post is very helpful in offering different ways to do it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=84055
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

:D Solved!!! I installed the deb file of Grub Customizer 3 and it worked great.
Thanks to everyone for your advice and help.
Dick (aka tlcmd)

Return to “LMDE Archive”