How to mirror Mint repos on an external HD

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

How to mirror Mint repos on an external HD

Post by josefg »

Hi,

I would like to download a copy of the entire Mint 13 repos (both ubuntu-supplied packages and mint additions) to an externlal USB drive. This to help me make offline installations when I am in Niger Republic, where internet connections are poor.

Does anyone have good advice on an easy way to set this up?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to mirror Mint repos on an external HD

Post by xenopeek »

I have no experience with this, but basically you are wanting to run a local mirror for the repositories. apt-mirror is the program you want to look into; it allows you to set up a local mirror.
josefg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by josefg »

Between apt-mirror and debmirror, which tool is best?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

apt-mirror sounds very easy from this: http://apt-mirror.sourceforge.net/. debmirror on the other hand, looks complicated but perhaps that is just this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Debmirror.

Regardless of which one you are going to use, be aware that the repository is tens of gigabytes big. A few years ago the repository was well over 27 GiB, and it will only have gotten to be bigger.

Return to “Other topics”