[Solved] Can't add mintMenu to the panel

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Can't add mintMenu to the panel

Post by rebelxt »

When I try to add mintMenu to the panel, the following error message is given:
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu".
This is happening in Mint 13 Mate 64bit. It also happens in a clean install (with current updates applied) running under VirtualBox. Do we have a new bug? Is there something I need to do? Am I just an unlucky loner out in the wilderness by myself?

If it matters, my computer has an Ivy Bridge CPU (i5-3550), and I installed the Linux 3.4.3-030403-generic (x86_64) kernel because of system freeze problems. That worked, by the way.

EDIT: The error also occurs in Mint 13 Mate 64bit when running the live disk as a VirtualBox guest. It does not occur when running the Mint 13 Mate 32bit live disk as a VirtualBox guest. The 'Main Menu' and 'Menu Bar' options work and are basically the same; also the Drawer is another option, so it's not like it is a critical problem.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimwm

Re: Can't add mintMenu to the panel

Post by grimwm »

I was having this problem as well until I realized that a lot of the Mint tools use Python. Have you changed your path to use some different version of Python, such as a virtualenv one? I was doing that until I realized through some research that the Mint tools are often written in Python, including mintmenu. I fixed my PATH to get rid of my virtualenv python during login, and now everything works as it should, including dnsmaq (which was also broken before my change... so, I can only imagine it uses Python somewhere as well).
MrD

Post by MrD »

I installed Python 3 yesterday in an attempt to get a cam program working for desktop recording purposes (tutorials for newbies using image and video editing and basic day to day operation) and this appears to be the problem when I had to hard reset today and can't get the Menu loaded.

Exactly how do I make the changes to change the PATH or rollback changes to get my menu back please?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Installing Python 3 is not a problem, as long as you have not manually changed paths or made Python 3 in another way the default Python interpreter. Almost all system tools are written in Python 2.7.x, and won't work if you have set your default Python interpreter to Python 3. To be clear; when you install Python 3 it doesn't itself change the default Python interpreter. So unless you did something for this, this isn't the problem.

Note that you can have only one mintMenu applet. So if you have it already on your panel, or if you have added a panel and have the mintMenu already on another panel, you will get this message.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Basically, when I booted up I got a popup error window:

The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu".

If I attempt to add "mintMenu/Advanced Menu" to the taskbar I get the error message. There are three menu options, the first two work, but then like the video (I'll post below) show, they appear on the right hand side of the tabs that appear showing your brower/IM clients/etc

Googling this produces some youtube videos from a guy who installed Python and it changing the default pathway leading to the Mint Menu system to break. He says he fixed it, but he wrote that message after he posted the videos and I've watched them and can't figure out any fix I can use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADRvDoWg2co
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Right, then I think it is worth a shot to restore the mintMenu to its default configuration. Possibly something you have in your mintMenu configuration files is causing a problem. I have the needed steps here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p622094. Instead of the killall command you can just try after removing the mintMenu configuration files to add the mintMenu anew to your panel.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Unfortunately that didn't work. Upon logging back in, the first thing I am presented with is that same popup error.

Steps were:

1) alt-f2 to get window up
2) entered

Code: Select all

rm -fr ~/.mateconf/apps/mintMenu
3) window closes, mouse pointer has the spinning wheel for about 10 seconds then back to plain mouse pointer.
4) logged out/in to be presented with error popup
4) attempts to add the proper mint menu produce the error popup.

I tried twice, including using the "killall mintmenu" command on both attempts, it didn't visibly do anything

EDIT: I also tried creating a new panel to add the menu to but still received the same error message.
Last edited by MrD on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Hmm, the source code hints that you can run mintmenu with the argument to clean the settings. :)
The difference is that it also deletes the ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu directory.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Okay, I remembered how to get the history of what I did in terminal, here are all the latest entries (I'm including my terminal mistake and repeat with correct code to show the full history)
139 wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47950494/upubun ... rnel-3.6.1 -O linux-kernel-3.6.1
140 chmod +x linux-kernel-3.6.1
141 sudo sh linux-kernel-3.6.1
142 cd Downloads
143 cd Python-2.7.3
144 make
145 configure
146 make install.sh
147 cd Downloads
148 cd Python-2.7.3
149 ./configure
150 make
151 su root
152 cd Downloads
153 cd showebkam
154 ./install
155 vlc v4l2:///dev/video0
As can see, I attempted to install showebkam but when I ran that it didn't work. Before this I tried to install Camdesk (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/camd ... he-desktop)

On Camdesk website I was told these were dependancies:
Python, PyGTK
V4L
GStreamer
Webcam
libgtk2.0-dev
libgtk2.0-doc
libglib2.0-doc
I couldn't find V4L or GStreamer but installed the rest and already had the webcam
rebelxt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rebelxt »

The answer to my original post seems to be that you can't add mintMenu to a panel that already has it. (Don't really know why you would want to; was just playing around when this happened.) So, I am going to mark this thread as solved. I hope the Python guys are happy with what they have, too.
MrD

Post by MrD »

rebelxt wrote:The answer to my original post seems to be that you can't add mintMenu to a panel that already has it. (Don't really know why you would want to; was just playing around when this happened.) So, I am going to mark this thread as solved. I hope the Python guys are happy with what they have, too.
Not happy really. But 90mins of reinstalling and updating later and my problem has gone away. Not solved, circumvented :)

Anyhow, as long as your issues is resolved this thread has run its course.
Jean-Jacques Gerbaud

Re: [Solved] Can't add mintMenu to the panel

Post by Jean-Jacques Gerbaud »

I had the same problem. Finally I remembered that I had changed my $PATH, adding /opt/bin *at the beginning* of it.

Whem modifying it again and putting /opt/bin after everything else, all came as before !
schulmanworks

Re: [Solved] Can't add mintMenu to the panel

Post by schulmanworks »

I have this exact same problem. Any chance of a full explanation of how to change $path? I'm new to Linux and I have no idea how that works.

Return to “MATE”