Share TV Tuner across network

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
youngdaddytc

Share TV Tuner across network

Post by youngdaddytc »

ok so i've got a good one this time lol. i read that it's possible (using windows) to share a tv tuner across a network. i want to know if and how i could get this to work using linux. my setup is as follows:

tv tuner is located on my desktop (which would be the server), and runs windows 7 x64. i would like to stream across the network to my laptop (which would be the client), and that is running linux mint 13 x64.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
youngdaddytc

Re: Share TV Tuner across network

Post by youngdaddytc »

bump
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can watch network streams with VLC. I'm assuming you know how to share your TV Tuner output as a network stream. Using that URL, you should be able to watch it with VLC.
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

no im not sure how to do that.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, I know you can also start a network stream with VLC--for example to stream a DVD from your desktop to another computer over the network--but I don't think VLC will show content from your TV Tuner.

As sharing the TV Tuner output as a network stream is a question on Windows, perhaps ask this question also on a Windows forum or on the forum of the vendor of your TV Tuner?
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

well the forum i was following that got me interested is located here...

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php? ... fferent-PC

but that said software needs to be installed both server and client side, from what i understand. of course this wont work as im running linux mint on my laptop.

maybe someone in the linux community will recognize something on that forum in regards to how that windows program operates which will help me/us stream that tv tuner content from one computer to another.
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

after some quick research it looks like 'SageTV' which i know works on windows, also runs on linux . apparently this has the ability to network stream. i'll do some more work with this tomorrow to see if i can get it up and running.
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

UPDATE: got sagetv server installed on the windows desktop, and the sagetv client placeshifter on the linux laptop. the main problem im running into is that the sagetv program in windows is having trouble running properly. ironic considering windows media center picks up that tv tuner just fine as well as several programs within linux itself (when the tv tuner is actually plugged into the laptop).

so it looks like i'll need to solve that problem before i can continue trying to get that stream to translate over the network from windows to linux.

on a further note, this would be so much easier if windows media center had enabled the ability to network stream.
youngdaddytc

Post by youngdaddytc »

still not working. i sort of got sagetv to work with windows. i know it's at the least capturing the stream. using the sagetv placeshifter client from linux i hit connect then go to vlc. from there, i go to capture devices and selct my tv tuner card which is read as /dev/dvb/adapter0 under the capture mode 'tv digital' and the delivery system and DVB-T. as far as i can tell this is all correct, as i've been getting digital over the air tv on the windows desktop up to this point. however, in vlc upon selecting those options and hitting play i get the error

"Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvb-t://frequency=0000:bandwidth=0'. Check the log for details."

so i dont know what's wrong.

Return to “Open Chat”