xfce 4.8 - remove desktop icons

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
garmaz

xfce 4.8 - remove desktop icons

Post by garmaz »

Hi All,

i'm looking for a "fix" in order to remove the icons on my desktop (icons are: "computer" and "home"). I tried to use the normal settings in graphical menu and in my home directory (.config) but i can't.

i didn't find on the forum posts can help me.

Thanx in advance

GarmaZ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odo5435

Re: xfce 4.8 - remove desktop icons

Post by odo5435 »

garmaz wrote:...I tried to use the normal settings in graphical menu ... but i can't.
I'm guessing that you tried the 'Icons' tab in Menu > Settings > Desktop. What happened when you selected/deselected the options? Were there any error messages from any of the methods you tried?
Screenshot Desptop Icons.png
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Make sure xfwm4 still running... (use task/system monitor)
IF NOT

rerun 'xfem4' & 'xfdesktop' resave sesesion and reboot

J.Jay
P.S. nautilus strike again maybe? :roll:
garmaz

Post by garmaz »

odo5435 wrote:
garmaz wrote:...I tried to use the normal settings in graphical menu ... but i can't.
I'm guessing that you tried the 'Icons' tab in Menu > Settings > Desktop. What happened when you selected/deselected the options? Were there any error messages from any of the methods you tried?
Screenshot Desptop Icons.png

Hi...

the first attempt I did it was like showing you in the picture. No error messages, no good results.
garmaz

Post by garmaz »

jjaythomas wrote:Make sure xfwm4 still running... (use task/system monitor)
IF NOT

rerun 'xfem4' & 'xfdesktop' resave sesesion and reboot

J.Jay
P.S. nautilus strike again maybe? :roll:
xfwm4 -> running
xfdesktop -> running

strange stuff...whenever the desktop session start, automatically opens Nautilis, but i do't see it in the startup task
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

strange stuff...whenever the desktop session start, automatically opens Nautilis, but i do't see it in the startup task
it's not in startup apps it usually runs in the session. And the Session tab in Xfce doesn't list every thing it runs. :roll: It can also run as a system service (rarely).

But regardless
if you terminate nautilus in task manager can you then delete icons?
They may be regular bookmarks (they can be normal desktop bookmarks/launchers and system ones also (I believe Xubuntu were geeting that (double icons) in earlier 12.10 builds somehow). Try right clicking on Icons and see If delete listed . If so resave session and reboot maybe. :?

J.Jay
garmaz

Post by garmaz »

jjaythomas wrote: But regardless
if you terminate nautilus in task manager can you then delete icons?
They may be regular bookmarks (they can be normal desktop bookmarks/launchers and system ones also (I believe Xubuntu were geeting that (double icons) in earlier 12.10 builds somehow). Try right clicking on Icons and see If delete listed . If so resave session and reboot maybe. :?
J.Jay
Hi :)

if i kill nautils from terminal, the icons disappear immediately from the desktop :)
if i use thunar...no icons on the desk, if i use nautilus again icons :)
how i can remove from nautilus?

thanx for your support :)
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

You remove nautilus with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove nautilus

Return to “LMDE Archive”