Commercial Disc

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Commercial Disc

Post by Pierre »

I usually use my own D/Ld ISOs to try out newer editions of things like Mint,

but I have a commercially made copy of Mint 11, supplied by the UK magazine, LINUX FORMAT.

this is one serious headache, as I cannot get a stable screen - to either use or to install the supplied Mint
- It does also have Mageia on the disk - & that seems to work A.ok.

But the supplied Mint 11 - is visually very unstable - to the point of being unusable.
it may be just this disk, as I have tried it on a few PCs & screens, all flat-screen's - as I no longer have a CRT.

Before anyone says it - I have a very poor 3g connection & don't have the resources to D/L a great amount of ISOs.
I would have liked to try out Mint11 - even though it's somewhat dated now, as it would be the last of the Gnome2 desktop's.

I have tried to edit the boot parameters of the live disk, to change the screen resolution - but that didn't work, on the resolutions that I tried.
It could be the screen refresh rate too - but that's getting too involved.

I haven't contacted the magazine - either,
But has anyone else had issues with commercial made DvDs ??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Commercial Disc

Post by xenopeek »

If you suspect a problem with the disc, run the integrity check from the Linux Mint boot menu (same place from where you changed the boot parameters, then I think it is the 3rd or 4th option down in the menu).

And Linux Mint 11 is not just quite dated, it will be unsupported as of end of this month. Perhaps you can look for a disc with Linux Mint 13 MATE. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2 and the MATE developers are well under way with fixing GNOME 2 bugs and doing various improvements (http://mate-desktop.org/). Linux MInt 13 is supported till April 2017.

Linux Mint 13 MATE was on on the cover discs of Linux Format #162. You could also buy it from another source, like OSDisc.com: http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/ ... =linuxmint.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Resolved:- Commercial Disc

Post by Pierre »

Hang it - Downgrade to LM10 :o

even though LM11 is working, - it still freezes . . .

so it's back to Julia. :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
odo5435

Re: Commercial Disc

Post by odo5435 »

G'day @Pierre,

I also live in Perth and am a passionate supporter of Linux Mint. I already have a few versions of current .iso's and luckily am with an ISP (Internode) that allows me to D/L as many as I like - unmetered. A list of the versions they have on their mirror can be found here

I'm willing to burn a few DVDs (within reason) and post them or, if you'd prefer, arrange a meet somewhere to deliver them. PM me, if you want, with the list of versions you'd like and I'll see what can be done.

Return to “Open Chat”