Install Flash 11 Plugin

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Install Flash 11 Plugin

Post by twodogs »

Go here and download.

I selected the '.tar.gz for other Linux'

Extract the downloaded file.

Move the file 'libflashplayer.so' to /home/your user name here/.mozilla/plugins (create the folder if you don't have it)

I needed this so I could paint at Psykopaint.

This works for Firefox AND Google Chrome.

Enjoy!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Install Flash 11 Plugin

Post by xenopeek »

Note that this is not recommended to do, unless you absolutely have to. Linux Mint comes pre-installed with Adobe Flash, and at the very least will work with Firefox. Using the latest version of Adobe Flash from their website, instead of the version provided by Linux Mint, risks you getting distorted videos (wrong colours) on websites such as Youtube amongst other known issues. As such, Linux Mint has stuck to a somewhat older version on which these issues are not present.

But if you need it for some website, go ahead. Just be aware that when you do get wrong colours in videos (which doesn't happen on all graphics cards), this is the cause.
rocuronium

Re: Install Flash 11 Plugin

Post by rocuronium »

xenopeek wrote:But if you need it for some website, go ahead. Just be aware that when you do get wrong colours in videos (which doesn't happen on all graphics cards), this is the cause.
Good to know. I had to update Flash on one of my computers and ran into this problem. Now I know why!

I manage to work around this problem by disabling hardware acceleration through the Flash menu. It gets rid of the blue tint at least.

Return to “Tutorials”