Installing IE 8 on LM Debian

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tlcmd

Installing IE 8 on LM Debian

Post by tlcmd »

Has anyone installed Internet Explorer 8 or higher on LMDE? If so, is there a site better than another for such an installation. The ones I've found were pretty complex. Before I started I thought I'd ask someone who had done it and was more experienced.

Thanks,
Dick (aka tlcmd)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Installing IE 8 on LM Debian

Post by xenopeek »

No clue, but can I ask why you need IE8? If you need specific IE8 functionality, just ignore me :) If it is because some website (which was my case) refuses to work with anything but IE, you can add the User Agent Switcher add-on to Firefox and fake the website into thinking you are running IE8. Most corporate websites running on SAP for example are horribly outdated and though they will work fine with Firefox, they have a silly check on your browser's user agent string that prevents you from using the website.
tlcmd

Post by tlcmd »

Vincent,
Thanks for the reply. I'll try the Firefox Add-on, but the chief reason I'd like to add IE8: "chercez la Femme!" My better half prefers IE to Chrome and Chrome to Firefox. She is a member of an investment group which uses a financial program only recognized by IE; hence my need to see if I can install the latest IE on LMDE.

Thanks,
Dick
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

There is a 'User Agent Switcher' for Chrome/Chromium as well.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... hfjgkhfcgf

veggen

Post by veggen »

There are many banking and similar sites that can only work in IE. IIRC, you can use Winetricks to easily install IE, but it never works well, although it *might* happen that your scenario works, so give it a go.

Return to “LMDE Archive”