panel (task bar) disappears after starting any application

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcdawson

panel (task bar) disappears after starting any application

Post by rcdawson »

I installed linux mint KDE 13 on an HP Pavilion za5170 laptop. All went well, but when I open an application from the default task bar at the bottom of the screen, or from a menu in the default task bar, the application opens and the panel (task bar) disappears. I've installed KDE mint 13 on at least two P4 desktop machines without this problem.

I did have to burn a different DVD to install on the HP laptop, because the disc I had used on the other machines wasn't readable on the laptop. Could this be an error on the disk? Is there a checksum to apply to a burned disk?

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions on how to correct it?

Richard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: panel (task bar) disappears after starting any applicati

Post by homerscousin »

Did you: Right click the taskbar, panel options, panel settings, more settings, and see the 4 available settings for 'visibility'? Might be the one something like windows can cover?
rcdawson

Re: panel (task bar) disappears after starting any applicati

Post by rcdawson »

I tried various things. I finally concluded that my machine's 256 MB of ram just wasn't enough. Switched to another distribution.

Thanks for the reply

Return to “Software & Applications”