Can't activate broadcom STA wireless driver

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sriniz0614

Can't activate broadcom STA wireless driver

Post by sriniz0614 »

I am newbie to LINUX OS. Yesterday I have installed LINUX mint 13 mate 32-bit on my dell xps 1330. I have tried to activate broadcom STA wireless driver by connecting to wired internet, but system did not connect to internet. After I plugged in ethernet cable system tried to connect several times automatically but failed to connect to internet everytime. So I thought to download the broadcom driver and activate it by following the instructions available thru README text file available along with broadcom driver. But here is the error I am getting

sriniz@sriniz-XPS-M1330 ~ $ cd hybrid_wl
sriniz@sriniz-XPS-M1330 ~/hybrid_wl $ tar xzf /home/sriniz/hybrid-portsrc_x86_32-v5_100_82_112.tar.gz
sriniz@sriniz-XPS-M1330 ~/hybrid_wl $ make api=wext
KBUILD_NOPEDANTIC=1 make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd`
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic'
make[1]: Warning: File `Makefile' has modification time 4.1e+06 s in the future
Wireless Extension is the only possible API for this kernel version
Using Wireless Extension API
make[2]: Warning: File `include/config/auto.conf' has modification time 4.1e+06 s in the future
LD /home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/built-in.o
CC [M] /home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/shared/linux_osl.o
CC [M] /home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o
/home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: error: unknown field ‘ndo_set_multicast_list’ specified in initializer
/home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]
/home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.c:388:2: warning: (near initialization for ‘wl_netdev_ops.ndo_validate_addr’) [enabled by default]
make[2]: *** [/home/sriniz/hybrid_wl/src/wl/sys/wl_linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/sriniz/hybrid_wl] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.0-23-generic'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any suggestions to get this worked?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't activate broadcom STA wireless driver

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Use the jockey to install, if your system is offline, it will show you an error, which contain the url for the driver.
Just download the file and use gdebi to install it.
Hope thats work. (it works on me before)
sriniz0614

Post by sriniz0614 »

hey I am new to this LINUX world. what is jockey? and steps to use that for driver activation?
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Search on the menu, something called addditional drivers. On my mint 11, its located on menu> administration.

The other way to install the driver is via Synaptic (package manager). Search for broadcom STA, mark as install, then apply. That will also provide the URL for the driver.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Which Broadcom card do you have? You can check it with inxi -N in terminal

If it's a 4311, 4312, or 4313, please don't use the STA driver. It usually fails on them. On the 4313, you can just add blacklist b43 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to make it working. On the 4311, please install firmware-b43-installer (which works also on 4318 and 4331, btw), on the 4312 please install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.

On the contrary, if you have a 4321, 4322, 43227 or 43228, the STA driver is the best solution.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
lewmur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lewmur »

AlbertP wrote:Which Broadcom card do you have? You can check it with inxi -N in terminal

If it's a 4311, 4312, or 4313, please don't use the STA driver. It usually fails on them. On the 4313, you can just add blacklist b43 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to make it working. On the 4311, please install firmware-b43-installer (which works also on 4318 and 4331, btw), on the 4312 please install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.

On the contrary, if you have a 4321, 4322, 43227 or 43228, the STA driver is the best solution.
I have a 4311 but had allready activated the STA driver. So I removed it and rebooted and then ran

Code: Select all

$sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
That seemed to work but neither WICD nor the standard network-manager show any wireless connection.

Where do I go from here?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Probably b43 is still blacklisted, please run:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-bcm43.conf
sudo modprobe b43
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Networking”