New Settings Not Persistent Between Boots

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aruzinsky

New Settings Not Persistent Between Boots

Post by aruzinsky »

I am a beginner. I installed Linux Mint Maya 64 bit from a CD and from within Windows 7 64 bit. When I change Linux settings, such as the desktop backgound, the new settings do not persist after rebooting. I suspect that the installation is incorrectly behaving as though it were booting from the CD. Indeed, the Linux files are on my hard drive and the CD drive is empty. After sellecting Linux from the boot screen, I always get the message, "Completing Linux Mint Installation." That message seems inappropriate after every boot.

Is this normal and, if not, what should I do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: New Settings Not Persistent Between Boots

Post by karlchen »

Hello, aruzinsky.

Like many others you have steppd into a trap: Under Windows Mint4win only performs the preparation of the regular Linux Mint 13 installation. It then reboots the machine into the Linux Mint live system. On the desktop there is an icon "Install Linux Mint". You have to start this task, "Install Linux Mint", manually once. This will perform the regular Linux Mint 13 installation. Once this has been completed, the machine will reboot again. From then on you will be using the persistent Linux Mint13 system and configuration changes will be persistent across reboots.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
aruzinsky

Post by aruzinsky »

karlchen wrote:Hello, aruzinsky.

Like many others you have steppd into a trap: Under Windows Mint4win only performs the preparation of the regular Linux Mint 13 installation. It then reboots the machine into the Linux Mint live system. On the desktop there is an icon "Install Linux Mint". You have to start this task, "Install Linux Mint", manually once. This will perform the regular Linux Mint 13 installation. Once this has been completed, the machine will reboot again. From then on you will be using the persistent Linux Mint13 system and configuration changes will be persistent across reboots.

Kind regards,
Karl
Thank you.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, yahoo92.

You are right. Yet, exactly the same answer had been posted 3 weeks ago. (2 posts above yours) :wink:

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”