install problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

install problem

Post by leo5111 »

it doesnt want to run live cd till i change resolution to 1024x768 then goes into live cd i choose install it installs like 40% or so then says erno error somthing wrong with dvd drive or harddrive the dvd and the hard drive are sata i got the 4.0 by googleing linux mint then it gave me a link to a torrent... my hardware is a core 2 duo with abit p35 pro motherboard 2 gigs of ram
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Re: install problem

Post by leo5111 »

ok figured it out burned it 2x and voila! then sucker wouldnt boot found the culprit if i put this acpi=off boots fine im on the install now how do i make that permant part of the boot so its in there?? thanx EDIT if i try to plug in and boot with 1 or other of my sata drives no boot
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

i solved problem partly since my other 2 drives are ntfs had to install ntfs-3g but the problem still persists that i have to manualy at boot up screen put in acpi=off want to add it to config file so its automaticly there and also how do i set my 2 storage ntfs drivs to mount automaticly?
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

anyone? i keep having to hit f6 and enter acpi=off to end of boot option trying to figure out how to change the boot file permantly :cry:
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

sorry to keep bumping my thread but i cat figure out where it is but im pretty new to linux there must be a way to do it :cry:
Fred

Post by Fred »

leo5111,

Open a text editor as root. In a terminal type:

sudo gedit

Then navigate to "/boot/grub/menu.lst" and open that file. Toward the bottom of the page you will see a line like this:

## ## End Default Options ##

After that you will see several lines together that constitute your primary boot stanza. One of those will look something like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash

Add a space and "acpi=off" right after the "quiet splash". No quotes.

Save the file and exit. Be careful and try not to make a typo.

That should do it. :-)

Fred
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

ok so as root i do the sudo gedit thing in gedit is there a button to click in gedit to browse to the folder?? then just edit and save the file?? and thanks for help :P
Fred

Post by Fred »

When you open a terminal and type:

sudo gedit

You will be opening it in root.

There is an "open" dialog you will see. Put / in the window and you will see all the files.

Fred
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

so you mean ill see all the differnt folders and just have to go in correct 1 and edit the file?? thanx for youre patience im a linux newb but im learning... :P
Fred

Post by Fred »

That is correct.

No problem, we were all new at one time. :-)

Fred
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

Post by leo5111 »

edit i found it, can yuo help me set my storage drive to automount upon boot? here what gparted says /dev/sdb1 also says /media/New Volume

Return to “Installation & Boot”