Live-cd install inside KVM. Virtio disk. Bugfix reported.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
tecnico

Live-cd install inside KVM. Virtio disk. Bugfix reported.

Post by tecnico »

The installer on a 201204 LMDE Live CD is unable to see a virtio disk when running inside a KVM image (disk /dev/vda for example). This error and the bug fix was reported and acknowledged on the following post at least by Apr/2011. The fix is to run the command $inxi -U (as root). Hopefully this simple command can be added to the next Live-CD release.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/694729

Copy and paste of the relevant post from the URL above:

====
Justin Krehel (jkrehel) wrote on 2011-04-21:
This has been added. In the live environment, you can open a terminal and issue the following command:

sudo inxi -U

This will update the inxi script, which is used in live-installer for disk detection. Subsequent versions of LM Debian Edition will contain the updated script, but for now this should handle the issue.

Thank you for your patience.

- Justin
=====
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
justin

Re: Live-cd install inside KVM. Virtio disk. Bugfix reported

Post by justin »

That's pretty amazing this problem still exists, considering I helped patch inxi for virtio over a year and a half ago, and all someone had to do was run an inxi -U from the live environment before spinning the ISO.
tecnico

Post by tecnico »

I guess they didn't get the memo :) Thanks for taking the time to post your original solution btw, it was very helpful.
justin

Post by justin »

No problem tecnico - I'm glad my solution was useful to you.

Return to “LMDE Archive”