text editor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arsinic13

text editor

Post by arsinic13 »

im trying to find a good text editor like textpad for linux. anybody know of a good one? also once i download it how do i make it work cuz i cant seem to make anything i download work. lol
colyn

Re: text editor

Post by colyn »

Depending on which version of Mint you are using gedit works in both Gnome and KDE. Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gedit
It should be installed by default in Gnome..

Kate works fine in KDE and should be installed by default.

If you want a Windows text editor you'll need to install wine

sudo apt-get install wine
which has notepad installed by default..
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

arsinic13 wrote:also once i download it how do i make it work cuz i cant seem to make anything i download work. lol
Many programs don't launch with an icon and have to be used from the terminal.

After you install gedit(example) you can run:

man gedit
to see the manpage or:

which gedit
to see where the executable installed.

Not every program has a man-page and not every program installs an executable. If you inspect the program under synaptic
you can see exactly what files installed and where. Sometimes the name of the application to run is not the same as the
program (thank you very much) and sometimes they throw in a capital letter in the name and don't tell you about it just
because that would make it way too easy for you... and some programs just are cursed... beware!
asedt

Post by asedt »

I install stuff with the Software Manager but then I cant find how to start the program. Typing the name in the search box in the menue mankes CPU go 100%, it list option to install the package but if you chose it, it will says it's alredy installed. (this is not so funny)

Thx Dagon, that worked! It's not very user friendly :(
Now I just have to remember what I installed :D
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

There should be an icon for gedit in the Accessories section of the Menu.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Almost any text editor available for Linux could match the functionality provided in textpad for windows..
http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080 ... itors.html
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/07/top ... t-editors/

Vim is a standard, as well as some desktop editors as mentioned for Gnome (Gedit) or Kate(KDE)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vim_(text_editor)
sgosnell

Post by sgosnell »

Gedit will be found under Applications/Accessories. If you install a package through Software Manager or Package Manager, there should be an icon for it somewhere in the Applications menus. You may have to go through the submenus to find it, but it is usually in some logical place, like Internet, Office, etc.
ScribblesALot

Post by ScribblesALot »

If you think a Linux replacement for TextPad is easy to find, you don't understand TextPad.

I have written code for over 30 years and I've been a writer longer than that. There is a HUGE difference between a PROGRAMMING editor and a TEXT editor. TextPad is my editor of choice for WRITING, as opposed to CODING. For the latter I use emacs or vim/vi, or an IDE like Geany, or EditPlus on Windows. No coding editor is usable for writing large amounts of text. A text editor has to automatically word-wrap. It has to reflow paragraphs automatically when you add text, even in the middle of a paragraph, and it has to reflow paragraphs automatically when you resize the window. Cursor motions have to be in terms of the PHYSICAL lines on the screen, not logical lines. It has to produce files that are just plain ASCII (or perhaps UNICODE) text.

If there is a decent TextPad equivalent out there for Linux, I haven't found it yet.

And no, a "word-processor" like (say) AbiWord is not suitable. I neither need nor want all that WYSIWYG nonsense getting between me and the words I'm putting down.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Leafpad is as minimal as it gets. It's in the repositories.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

If there is a decent TextPad equivalent out there for Linux, I haven't found it yet.
I think people are assuming "notepad" (ie basic text editor) equivalence?!

I have been an author (using Linux) for over 20 years and my tool of choice is Latex. Now that is not just one application - it is a whole sub-set of applications that make up THE most powerful text manipulation software around. TexMaker & TexLive are in the Debian repos and work perfectly well for book production, both drafting & publishing! I can't say about Mint repos as I no longer run Mint systems, but, just do an "apt-cache search latex" command in a terminal and check through the results.

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's start a new topic, and not revive a 21 month old one :D BTW textpad looks like a programmer's editor, so Geany would probably be a good fit.

Return to “Beginner Questions”