Problem with rsync

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem with rsync

Postby rmcellig on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:17 am

This is the code I am using to see if it works. If I go into Gnome Shecduled Tasks and set this to run every minute, nothing happens. If I press the run selected task button it works. I tried other time settings as well. Doesn't work.

rsync -r -t -v --progress --delete -s /media/Radiorecordings/Poland 2006 pictures /home/randy/Desktop/test3

If I try this code, it works fine. Is it because I am trying to sync from my external USB drive to a folder in my Desktop folder Home directory?

rsync -r -t -v --progress --delete -s /home/randy/Desktop/test1/ /home/randy/Desktop/test2
Attachments
rsync.png
This is how I have it set up in Gnome Scheduled Tasks which I like using.
rsync.png (30.21 KiB) Viewed 374 times
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with rsync

Postby motsteve on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:50 am

If I try this code, it works fine. Is it because I am trying to sync from my external USB drive to a folder in my Desktop folder Home directory?

rsync -r -t -v --progress --delete -s /home/randy/Desktop/test1/ /home/randy/Desktop/test2

In the above, the / right behind test1 is EXTREMELY important in rsync. It means that you are syncing the contents of test1 into the established directory test2. Once you have your directory on /home/randy/Desktop/test2 created you want to update its contents with the contents of test1. If you leave off the / after test1, rsync will try first to create a directory called test2 and then fill in the contents. If you already have a test2 directory, then you have problems. I hope this helps and BTW, this is a mistake I've made a dozen times even knowing better. :oops: The command without the / in the souce directory is good if you are syncing to a target that doesn't have the subdirectory established. It's a one time deal. There's no need to worry about your media.
motsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problem with rsync

Postby rmcellig on Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks I will make sure I have the /at the end of the source. This seems so simple so I should be able to create my sync code so that it works for me the way I want it to. I will post back with results. Thanks again!!!
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Other topics