too common words

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

too common words

Post by donec »

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: kde linux mint 13"

I have been using the search function trying to find information about Linux Mint 13 KDE especially in reference to using BTNX. I keep geting the quote above and no resultz for any of those words. How are we supposed to do what every one keeps saying when the search function ignores our words? If we knew the exact words we need to answer our questions then we would not need to ask or search we could just fix it our selves.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
wayne128

Re: too common words

Post by wayne128 »

Don,

this subject was discussed many times, long ago.

the search engine is too limited.

thus most people, like me, will not use search engine within the forum
but would use google or whatever that one accustomed to

supposing I use google and want to search topic within Linuxmint.com, I would type the words like that, take note the red highlight I added to the words, so as to point to Linuxmint.com..
BTNX on kde linux mint 13:linuxmint.com
try it and see if it works for you

have fun
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

wayne128 wrote:Don,

this subject was discussed many times, long ago.

the search engine is too limited.

thus most people, like me, will not use search engine within the forum
but would use google or whatever that one accustomed to

supposing I use google and want to search topic within Linuxmint.com, I would type the words like that, take note the red highlight I added to the words, so as to point to Linuxmint.com..
BTNX on kde linux mint 13:linuxmint.com
try it and see if it works for you

have fun
Thanks wayne128, it seems to work much better at least I now have something to study. If they have known about this for quite a time why haven't they done something about it?
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

We've just upgraded to a newer phpBB version a few weeks ago. Though it has given us some much needed improvements, especially with regards to dealing with spam, it doesn't have a new search engine. The search engine is limited and when search for such commons terms would basically return all posts ever made with those words in them. I'm thinking you were probably looking for something a little more specific than just any post about KDE. For performance considerations there are some restrictions on searching, such as encountered by you.

We're doing some more work on the forums later, so I'll see if we can address the forums search engine also. In the mean time, if you want to find each and every post about KDE, indeed most search engines support the syntax "site:linuxmint.com" and this will restrict a web search to the Linux Mint websites (or do "site:forums.linuxmint.com" for just the forums).

Return to “Other topics”