[Solved]Can't get video to display, only audio.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ryansanders2002

[Solved]Can't get video to display, only audio.

Post by Ryansanders2002 »

I'm having trouble getting any media player to display video (VLC, Gnome, Banshee), they play the audio portion fine, though. I'm currently on LM13 and just have a basic intel chipset for displays. The same problem existed on Ubuntu 11 when I used ot. However, after playing with a bunch of settings in the Totem player, I did get it to work while the program was running, the problem would return as soon as Totem was restarted.

I'm fairly certain I have all necessary codecs as DeVeDe is able to covert everything to dvd quality without issues.
Internet videos play fine, however.+

Any suggestions on what I can do to get things working?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Can't get video to display, only audio.

Post by cwsnyder »

For us to help you, you are going to have to provide more information, ie. what kind(s) of video files are you trying to play, which video driver are you using?

To see if I understand properly, you are using Linux Mint 13 (desktop? Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE, Other?), your (desktop? laptop? netbook?) has an Intel chipset (Which one?), probably using the (latest?) Intel generic video drivers. You have no problem with flash or HTML 5 videos streamed from the web, but you can't play video files which you have on your computer (what was the source of the video files?) which you could presumably have played earlier.
Ryansanders2002

Any video file, h264. mp4,mpg,avi,wmv, ANY FILE that I've downloaded, stream from a server and even DVDs. Flash and HTML5 videos play normally however. I'm using Mate on a desktop which has a Pentium 4 running at 2.4ghz with 1gb ram.

This is the information about the display obtained via lspci

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)

I'm using the driver that was installed by default

I was actually incorrect in my previous post. I got videos playing under Gnome MPlayer( not Totem as I previously said) and just managed to recreate the playing of videos using it . If I set the output settings under preferences to "X11", videos will play normally. However, I would still like to fix this issue with other players.

Any other information you need?
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

For VLC, if you select from the menu Tools >> Preferences >> Video button >> Output: X11 video output (XCB) and you can also view your videos, you may be stuck with that for a work around. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=115426 thread reports on the unsuccessful attempts with your video chipset to get his accelerated video to work with the Intel i915 driver. The only reported possible fix in the thread was to switch from LM13 to LMDE (with MATE if you wish through the package MATE-desktop-environment, or Cinnamon from the package cinnamon), or Debian Wheezy, which at the present time is in the equivalent of Release Candidate. This fix may not work, either.

This thread, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=20 , from May 2012, states that your GPU is blacklisted by Compiz and has been giving other people problems, with the suggestion of getting another (cheap) ATI or nVidia graphics card to 'fix' the problem.
Ryansanders2002

Thanks for the help. I guess I will use the workaround for now, eventually replacing this entire computer with a newer one. I'll just have to make sure it has a supported GPU.

Return to “Sound”